ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 22
« First < 3910111213 14151617 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Open Carry
HemiEd 05:44 AM 06-01-2024
My last two trips to our little town of Branson West resulted in seeing private citizens with a pistol holstered.

I was right behind one in line at the bank and the other one came in to shoot the shit with the barber cutting my hair. The only thing holding the second guys gun in the holster was gravity, no strap.

I am pro gun and all for peoples rights, but why? Why does someone feel they need to be packing heat while running errands?

It makes me pretty uncomfortable to say the least. Is this person stable enough to packing heat? Is he or she sober? Are they worried about a jealous lover or spouse gunning them down? Is there going to be a shootout?

What is your opinion? Are we all going to have to be packing soon? Are we going to regress to 200 years ago, like the wild west?

Who vetted this person to have this weapon in public?
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 03:37 PM 06-02-2024
Originally Posted by Delano:
It’s being closed, yes. Now those that make money selling guns at shows do a criminal background check.

Not as much regulation as I’d like, but helps keep guns out of criminal hands which a gun advocate in this thread ensured doesn’t happen.

First off ..I ve never been to a gun show that will sell you one without one, and if they did, it's a private sale.

There was/is no loop hole. You are talking about something that is unenforcable.
[Reply]
The Franchise 03:54 PM 06-02-2024
Originally Posted by scho63:
I'm not a gun carrier or fan of weapons but love the 2nd Amendment.

I have yet to hear one story about a lawful NRA member going and shooting up places

99% or more of all gun related murders are stolen or illegally obtained weapons.

My first experience with open carry was in late 70's in Houston Texas. I had taken a trip in a tractor trailer from NJ to TX and while in a diner, a group of men with cowboy hats and boots all had their firearms on the table.

Here in AZ I used to see it often when I first arrived in 2017 but I have seen none in the last 4-5 years.

It's more common as you get further north in Scottsdale, Cave Creek and Carefree.

I also spent two weeks in Havana Cuba in March/April 2000 and saw all the military with machine guns and rifles all over Havana at night. Felt incredibly safe.

Never seen a citizen with a weapon in any country outside the US.
99%? Doubt it.
[Reply]
HemiEd 03:55 PM 06-02-2024
Originally Posted by DenverChief:
I’m just saying I prefer to know where the weapon is rather than have to guess and possibly guess wrong.
See, that is where we are different.

I know that is your job and profession and makes sense, but I actually don't want to even think about them when I am in town picking up salad. I don't care if everyone is concealed carrying, because I am sure not going to be trying to figure it out if they are.

Learning that the conceal carry is so easy and legal now from the education in this thread, I am even more puzzled why anyone would want to open carry other than showing off or trying to solicit a reaction. After this thread though, I am no longer going to be shocked.

If something bad happens, so be it. I have lived a long and good life.
I am not going to stop it, hell I have 5 guns and haven't fired one in about that many years. Just not my thing. I hate killing stuff, so hunting is no longer on the table.
[Reply]
Delano 04:59 PM 06-02-2024
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco:
First off ..I ve never been to a gun show that will sell you one without one, and if they did, it's a private sale.

There was/is no loop hole. You are talking about something that is unenforcable.
Thanks for sharing your personal experience. There was a loophole in the Brady Act and now it’s being closed by ATF rules. Sellers with a federal firearm license now need to do a background check even at a gun show. They cannot sell to an individual with a flagged check. Unfortunately, gun show sellers aren’t all holders of an FFL.
[Reply]
DenverChief 05:13 PM 06-02-2024
In my state, a driver needs a fairly rigid drivers education course and lots of time behind the wheel before they get a license. Almost on the level of a CDL. Without that, there would no doubt be significant more injuries and deaths on the road. A person could purchase a gun from someone else off Craigslist legally without any training or certification they can safely operate the firearm. I learned a lot through hunter safety courses and practice shooting with my dad and I think every firearm owner should be required to do similar.

I also like the fact that if a driver injures me, I can collect insurance money. If I’m injured by a gun I can sue, but I’d have to pay for a lawyer.

I understand you want to compare the risk of driving with the risk of death or injury by firearm, but we can probably agree there is significantly higher opportunity for car accidents to the average person. There is also more safety regulation on vehicle ownershi and operation.
Because driving is a privilege....owning a fire arm is a right - there is a a huge difference
[Reply]
DenverChief 05:16 PM 06-02-2024
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
See, that is where we are different.

I know that is your job and profession and makes sense, but I actually don't want to even think about them when I am in town picking up salad. I don't care if everyone is concealed carrying, because I am sure not going to be trying to figure it out if they are.

Learning that the conceal carry is so easy and legal now from the education in this thread, I am even more puzzled why anyone would want to open carry other than showing off or trying to solicit a reaction. After this thread though, I am no longer going to be shocked.

If something bad happens, so be it. I have lived a long and good life.
I am not going to stop it, hell I have 5 guns and haven't fired one in about that many years. Just not my thing. I hate killing stuff, so hunting is no longer on the table.

I think - the resistance to getting a CCW is the cost also called a "coat tax". But that's just a guess
[Reply]
DenverChief 05:18 PM 06-02-2024
It’s being closed, yes. Now those that make money selling guns at shows do a criminal background check.

Not as much regulation as I’d like, but helps keep guns out of criminal hands which a gun advocate in this thread ensured doesn’t happen.
90%+ of firearms in criminal hands are stolen not "legally" bought. Criminals are criminals for a reason.
[Reply]
Delano 05:19 PM 06-02-2024
Because driving is a privilege....owning a fire arm is a right - there is a a huge difference
I’m not the one who made the comparison between the risk of driving versus the risk of gun violence.
[Reply]
Delano 05:21 PM 06-02-2024
90%+ of firearms in criminal hands are stolen not "legally" bought. Criminals are criminals for a reason.
Does this mean 90% of gun violence is committed with stolen guns? It would stand to reason if criminals got their guns through crime because they’re legally not allowed to buy weapons.
[Reply]
DenverChief 05:32 PM 06-02-2024
Does this mean 90% of gun violence is committed with stolen guns? It would stand to reason if criminals got their guns through crime because they’re legally not allowed to buy weapons.
From the BJS in 1995

Originally Posted by :
All stolen guns are available to crimi- nals by definition. Recent studies of adult and juvenile offenders show that many have either stolen a firearm or kept, sold, or traded a stolen firearm:

According to the 1991 Survey of State Prison Inmates, among those inmates who possessed a handgun, 9% had acquired it through theft, and 28% had acquired it through an illegal market such as a drug dealer or fence. Of all inmates, 10% had stolen at least one gun, and 11% had sold or traded stolen guns.

Studies of adult and juvenile offend- ers that the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services conducted in 1992 and 1993 found that 15% of the adult offenders and 19% of the ju- venile offenders had stolen guns; 16% of the adults and 24% of the juveniles had kept a stolen gun; and 20% of the adults and 30% of the juveniles had sold or traded a stolen gun.
From a sample of juvenile inmates

in four States, Sheley and Wright found that more than 50% had stolen
a gun at least once in their lives and 24% had stolen their most recently ob- tained handgun. They concluded that theft and burglary were the original, not always the proximate, source of many guns acquired by the juveniles.

The Victim Survey (NCVS) estimates that there were 341,000 incidents of firearm theft from private citizens an- nually from 1987 to 1992. Because the survey does not ask how many guns were stolen, the number of guns stolen probably exceeds the number of incidents of gun theft.

The FBI's National Crime Information Center (NCIC) stolen gun file con- tained over 2 million reports as of March 1995. In 1994, over 306,000 entries were added to this file including a variety of guns, ammunition, can- nons, and grenades. Reports of stolen guns are included in the NCIC files when citizens report a theft to law enforcement agencies that submit
a report to the FBI. All entries must in- clude make, caliber, and serial num- ber. Initiated in 1967, the NCIC stolen gun file retains all entries indefinitely unless a recovery is reported.
Originally Posted by :

Guns that go missing or are stolen from their original owners are much more prone to be used in crimes, according to a new analysis that provides insights into how legally bought firearms slip onto the black market.

For the study, which was announced in March after being published in the journal Injury Epidemiology, the Violence Prevention Research Program at the University of California campus in Davis analyzed over 8 million gun sales records and tens of thousands of reports of crime guns being recovered by law enforcement. They found that guns reported lost were three times more likely to be used in crimes, while stolen guns had nearly nine times the likelihood.

In 2017, The Trace, in partnership with more than a dozen NBC TV stations, sifted through police records from hundreds of jurisdictions and identified more than 23,000 stolen firearms recovered by law enforcement over a six-year period. The vast majority of those guns surfaced at crime scenes, including carjackings and kidnappings, armed robberies at stores and banks, sexual assaults and homicides, and other violent acts perpetrated around the United States.

[Reply]
RealSNR 05:44 PM 06-02-2024
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Limit my free speech right now you dyke bitch I dare you

The mods already did that when they said you couldn’t call people audios.

They dared you and you did nothing but sat there, whined like a baby, and then shut up.

So, uhh, yeah. If people ever want you to limit your speech it actually appears to be pretty easy.
[Reply]
HemiEd 05:58 PM 06-02-2024
Originally Posted by Fish:
Here's info straight from the Jackson County Sheriff's office. As of January 1, 2017, you do not need to purchase a concealed carry permit for KCMO or anywhere in MO. You can still purchase them if you want, in case you want to be legal for CCW in other states. But you absolutely do not need one anywhere in MO, including KC. House Bill 656 Allows Concealed Carry in Missouri without a permit requirement. Kansas is the same way.

https://www.jacksoncountysheriff.org...-Carry-Permits

Originally Posted by Nirvana58:
Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas are all constitutional carry to my knowledge.

I think - the resistance to getting a CCW is the cost also called a "coat tax". But that's just a guess
See the above posts where there is no permit required
[Reply]
DenverChief 06:02 PM 06-02-2024
Originally Posted by Nirvana58:
Yeah that is why all these active shooters target places where guns are common.

Or why all the school shootings they make sure to take out the security guard first. Active shooters want to do the most amount of damage before the opposition shows up.

Does open carrying make you a more of a target? I mean theoretically it could. I don't believe statistics would back that up. But it is definitely a deterrent for almost all crime.
Yes and no - most active shooters aren't looking for people carrying guns on their hips they are looking for targets of opportunity unless those targets are obvious (uniformed security/police) they are just shooting at the first person that is a sitting duck.
[Reply]
DenverChief 06:03 PM 06-02-2024
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
See the above posts where there is no permit required
Yeah Constitutional carry has become popular in some states. CO still requires a permit. More states require a permit than don't.
[Reply]
DenverChief 06:12 PM 06-02-2024
Yeah Constitutional carry has become popular in some states. CO still requires a permit. More states require a permit than don't.
I stand corrected 29 CC States.

31 Open carry states w/o permit
[Reply]
Page 13 of 22
« First < 3910111213 14151617 > Last »
Up