ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 82
« First < 3910111213 141516172363 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Restaurants of yesteryear
Simply Red 08:33 PM 11-01-2006
What Restaurants did you grow up around? I'm not talking super fancy and yes fast-food counts. What distinctive memories do you associate with them?

Mine?

Taco Via-(the lit up menu of the various taco plates displayed on the wall), WhiteCastle-On a paper plate with fries and Pepsi, Arthur Treachers(off Noland), Tippins(off Noland), Perkins(the free toy well), Country Deli(awesome local deli to Blue Springs heated sandwiches on Sourdough buns), Zarda BBQ and Dairy, FunHouse Pizza(of Course)(Dark. Video- Games,Electonic Riding Bull and 25-cent Taco night) Annes Sante Fe.

Keep in mind I never see these anymore living in Georgia.

[Reply]
Stewie 04:15 PM 11-02-2006
Pizza Queen - 95th and Antioch. We begged the owner to stay in business!

King's Food Host - On State Line for Sunday Fried Chicken.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 04:16 PM 11-02-2006
A couple more since this thread made me a little nostalgic for my KC upbringing. Meyerhoffs in Westport. A restaurant called Po Folks somewhere in Overland Park.
[Reply]
John_Locke 04:39 PM 11-02-2006
Sub and Stuff

Grandys
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:41 PM 11-02-2006
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic:
A couple more since this thread made me a little nostalgic for my KC upbringing. Meyerhoffs in Westport. A restaurant called Po Folks somewhere in Overland Park.
Po Folks has to be the worst restaurant concept ever created. "Hey, are you poor? Can you not afford to buy food that's not spoiled? Then come on in! Have we got a taste treat for you!"

My parents used to like them, and I refused to go. I'd stay at home and eat overcode bologna.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 04:45 PM 11-02-2006
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Po Folks has to be the worst restaurant concept ever created. "Hey, are you poor? Can you not afford to buy food that's not spoiled? Then come on in! Have we got a taste treat for you!"

My parents used to like them, and I refused to go. I'd stay at home and eat overcode bologna.
:-) Yeah I know I used to hate it when I got dragged to that place when I was a kid. I would be psyched because we were going out to eat and then get real pissed off when I found out I'd be eating at that shithole.
[Reply]
John_Locke 04:49 PM 11-02-2006
My grandma used to manage a Peter Pan. I believe she was the first "woman" manager at that time but that was late 60's early 70's.

I have one of the malt machines from her store. It was all I asked for when she died
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:52 PM 11-02-2006
Poor Po' Folks. The one on Bannister went great guns for the longest, because it was good food for a good value. MoF, for at least the first year, they were one of the few restuarants those days with a sizable contingent of patrons waiting in the foyer. They had folding chairs lined up 5 wide and 4 deep.

In retrspect, when it started out, I'd put it doing southern/soul food as not as good as Lamberts, but way better than Cracker Barrel.

But like everything else, portions got smaller, quality waned, prices rose.

Things fall apart, I guess.

EDIT: They live after all. http://www.pofolks.com/
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:03 PM 11-02-2006
Originally Posted by Rain Man:

Actually, the concept behind Po' Folks was more, Bill Anderson musing "Hee Haw is a decent show, if only they took out the music and replaced it with more corny jokes. I should turn that into a dining experience."
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 05:04 PM 11-02-2006
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Poor Po' Folks. The one on Bannister went great guns for the longest, because it was good food for a good value. MoF, for at least the first year, they were one of the few restuarants those days with a sizable contingent of patrons waiting in the foyer. They had folding chairs lined up 5 wide and 4 deep.

In retrspect, when it started out, I'd put it doing southern/soul food as not as good as Lamberts, but way better than Cracker Barrel.

But like everything else, portions got smaller, quality waned, prices rose.

Things fall apart, I guess.
That's why I remember hating that place so much. We'd wait what seemed like forever to be seated only to be served that awful food.
[Reply]
Spott 05:07 PM 11-02-2006
Are there any more Jack in the Box's in KC? When I was a little kid, I used to go to that one in Raytown on 63rd St(it's an Applebees now). I still have some Jack in the Box mason jars that they gave out back in 76.
[Reply]
Stewie 05:09 PM 11-02-2006
I don't think so. There was one at 95th and Mission Rd. a long time ago, but it turned into a Burger King... I think. Less Jack in the Box = Less E-coli.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:15 PM 11-02-2006
That's why I remember hating that place so much. We'd wait what seemed like forever to be seated only to be served that awful food.
Do you dislike the entire ouevre, or just Po's in particular?

We've always been a Southern-fried Soul Food kind of family. So we were holding out hope to the bitter end. Though eventually even my Mom admitted it had gone to crap.
[Reply]
Adept Havelock 05:19 PM 11-02-2006
Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips!

I also enjoyed a great little Italian Place out at Ward Parkway called Rich and Marty's.
[Reply]
Nzoner 05:27 PM 11-02-2006
Originally Posted by Spokane Chief Fan:
Is the Bucket Shop in south St. Joe still around?
Nope,it's long gone but my Aunt has their beefburger recipe
[Reply]
KChiefs1 05:44 PM 11-02-2006
I grew up in Raytown during the '60's so I remember....

Smak's, King's(you ordered over the phone in your booth...pretty cool) & of course Funhouse Pizza.
[Reply]
Page 13 of 82
« First < 3910111213 141516172363 > Last »
Up