ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 129 of 145
« First < 2979119125126127128129 130131132133139 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Gasoline over $4 coming to a pump near you because this thread is ass
Donger 08:40 AM 04-23-2007
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=afOlUzd30YOo

Pretty alarmist, IMO, but possible.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BryanBusby 08:24 AM 04-06-2023
Originally Posted by penguinz:
It's not about mileage. Running octane lower than recommended can cause damage to engine and/or emissions system.
Eh. Don't think I buy that theory with modern cars.
[Reply]
notorious 09:06 AM 04-06-2023
Originally Posted by jd1020:
You guys dont plug your tires yourself? Sheesh.

https://www.amazon.com/BETOOLL-Repai...47&sr=8-5&th=1

$15 to plug 15 nails. Who the hell would spend $40 for a 16 year old to do that?
I'd love for one of those to blow out while I'm pulling 13,000 pounds in my 8000 pound pickups.

I use plugs on our various ATV's for playtime, no way am I letting that shit touch a highway vehicle with my family in the car.
[Reply]
jd1020 09:15 AM 04-06-2023
Originally Posted by notorious:
I'd love for one of those to blow out while I'm pulling 13,000 pounds in my 8000 pound pickups.

I use plugs on our various ATV's for playtime, no way am I letting that shit touch a highway vehicle with my family in the car.
To each their own, I guess.

Around here if you take your tire to a shop for a nail or screw repair, 9 times out of 10 its getting a plug. Up to you if you want to pay $20+ to have someone else do something thats easily done yourself. These guys arent making money from repairing your tires. They are making money by selling you new tires. So you better believe the cheapest and fastest method in tire repair is going to be the one used most of the time. If you are carrying heavy loads you probably shouldn't be doing it on a tire that's ever been repaired with a plug or patch.
[Reply]
penguinz 10:00 AM 04-06-2023
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Eh. Don't think I buy that theory with modern cars.
You're correct. Cars that are designed for high octane is just to force consumers to buy more expensive gasoline.
[Reply]
Bwana 10:28 AM 04-06-2023
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The same thing happens at Walmart. Yeah, they have great policies but they have shit employees that don't give one **** about how good of a job they do. They don't depend on you for repeat business like a local shop does and they're getting paid Walmart wages on top of that.

I've gotten tires at Walmart/Sam's Club twice. I know several other people that have done it, as well. Nobody ever has a good experience.

So I'd say your experience is the exception, not mine. :-)

Yeah Walmart's so called mechanics, work for peanuts and to be honest, if they were worth a damn, they would be working anywhere else and would be earning a lot better wage.

I've used Walmart twice for tire work, once on an ATV and once on a Truck. In both cases, it was because I couldn't find anyone else that could get me in quickly. The first time, it was on a truck and I went back when the mechanic was tightening the lug nuts. I wanted to make sure that he was A. using a torque wrench and B. that he knew what the torque spec was for the lugs. Surprisingly, he was using a torque wrench and knew the spec.

The ATV was a different matter. I took one of my ATV's down to have some new tires I had purchased installed, because I was heading out to ride for the next four days. When they were done, I asked the mechanic,(and I use that term loosely)"what spec did you torque those lugs down to." He looked at me with a deer in the headlight look and told me 35 lbs. I said, "that's great, if I wanted a tire and rim flying off on the trail, they are supposed to be torqued down to 75 pounds."

He was all butt hurt and said "You are dead wrong!" I said "come here, lets call my buddy down at the Polaris dealership, who has been a mechanic down there for 30 years." I turned on the speaker phone and my buddy verified that the correct spec was 75 lbs of torque.

When I got home, I grabbed my torque wrench to check his work and I still had to torque the lugs to the correct spec. Even after the correct spec was verified by Polaris, the dipstick only torqued the lugs down to variances of 53 to 61 lbs. Needless to say, I haven't been back.
[Reply]
Lzen 02:07 PM 04-06-2023
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
And FTR, the local Walmart is 5 miles away. The "local" Sam's Club is 45 miles away. Different cities, different people, same result.

I have two friends here that got oil changes at Walmart and in both cases, the tech didn't put the damn plug back in after changing the oil. What do you suppose happened to their cars? :-)
And that is why I still change my own oil.
[Reply]
notorious 09:28 PM 04-06-2023

Around here if you take your tire to a shop for a nail or screw repair, 9 times out of 10 its getting a plug. Up to you if you want to pay $20+ to have someone else do something thats easily done yourself. These guys arent making money from repairing your tires. They are making money by selling you new tires. So you better believe the cheapest and fastest method in tire repair is going to be the one used most of the time. If you are carrying heavy loads you probably shouldn't be doing it on a tire that's ever been repaired with a plug or patch.
I've never seen a plug in a car tire. If I asked our local tire dealer about it they'd probably laugh in my face.
[Reply]
scho63 09:33 PM 04-06-2023
We seem stuck between $4.19 and $4.39 a gallon here in Phoenix metro area.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 09:35 PM 04-06-2023
I feel your pain on the tire repair; bought mine at Goodyear four years ago and haven't put 15k miles on them due to working at home since 3/14/2020. Had a flat and brought the car in. I paid for road hazard insurance and figured it was covered. Nope, now there's a 4 year limit on the road hazard insurance. $30 and three hours to get a tire repaired. He was proud that they put the jack back in the trunk. When I checked, everything was just tossed in the trunk as they couldn't follow the instructions for spare and jack storage.
[Reply]
Fish 11:50 PM 04-06-2023

Around here if you take your tire to a shop for a nail or screw repair, 9 times out of 10 its getting a plug.
That's not true. Most legit shops would not mess with plugs for an actual permanent fix.
[Reply]
jd1020 12:21 AM 04-07-2023
Originally Posted by Fish:
That's not true. Most legit shops would not mess with plugs for an actual permanent fix.
I've literally watched a legit shop come out to my car to take my tire off to repair a nail puncture only to be fortunate enough to notice that the nail was visible without taking the tire off the car and because my wheels were turned and pushing the nail out of the wheel well they didn't even take the tire off the car to put a plug in.

There is no such thing as a permanent fix to a tire repair. The actual "proper" way to repair a tire would be to install a combo plug and patch. So if you have taken your tires to get repaired and have "never seen a plug in your tire" then guess what, that buddy ol' pal of yours that claims to be doing it the "right way" is lying to you.
[Reply]
Fish 12:30 AM 04-07-2023
I've literally watched a legit shop come out to my car to take my tire off to repair a nail puncture only to be fortunate enough to notice that the nail was visible without taking the tire off the car and because my wheels were turned and pushing the nail out of the wheel well they didn't even take the tire off the car to put a plug in.

There is no such thing as a permanent fix to a tire repair. The actual "proper" way to repair a tire would be to install a combo plug and patch.
I'm not sure why you're so anecdotally fixated on tire plugs. It's not really a typical fix at most shops. It's more of an emergency fix, and shops can't really profit much from it. It's not nearly as reliable of a fix. There's little reason for a shop to mess with it.
[Reply]
jd1020 12:47 AM 04-07-2023
Originally Posted by Fish:
I'm not sure why you're so anecdotally fixated on tire plugs. It's not really a typical fix at most shops. It's more of an emergency fix, and shops can't really profit much from it. It's not nearly as reliable of a fix. There's little reason for a shop to mess with it.
I'm not anecdotally fixated on anything.

Originally Posted by :
Why the use of Improper Repairs Persists Despite Clear Warnings

Despite the difference of a few dollars in cost between an unsafe, improper repair and a safe combination repair, widespread use of these improper repairs persists. Several factors contribute to this continued popularity of improper repair techniques. First, because plug-only repairs are performed from the outside of the tire and do not require demounting the tire from the rim, a plug-only repair can performed by almost anyone, anytime and with nothing more than an inexpensive repair kit. It is a relatively simple process that does not require the multiple steps necessary for a proper repair, like demounting, sanding or buffing, nor are adhesives required, making these repairs faster and less expensive. For most people it means the difference between being able to “do it yourself” at your own convenience, and having to leave your vehicle at a repair shop to be fixed on someone else’s schedule.

Secondly, problems caused by plug-only repairs may not happen immediately and, therefore, even if the tire does eventually fail, people may not associate that failure with the repair that occurred months or years earlier.

Additionally, many tire mechanics are never trained with proper techniques and many have used string plugs for years, resulting in a comfort level with the product. Many tire repair shop policies actually encourage the use of this method. Past testimony indicates that some shops are unaware or unconcerned with the safety issues caused by plug-only repairs. Other shops yield to the wishes of consumers who may insist the mechanic perform a plug-only repair that may save money. Still other cases show that some repair facilities actually train their mechanics to use plug-only repairs and supply the shop with the tools to do so. However, even shops those “officially discourage or prohibit the use of string plugs often employ a pricing and wage structure that creates a strong incentive for its workers to use them anyway.

After reporting the out come of Barber case discussed above, one automotive repair websites received scores of comments critical of the litigious Americans” who had field lawsuits related to plug-only repairs. One commentator, apparently a mechanic at a facility that repairs tires said “We were told to patch, but I buy my own plugs … a patch pays 0.3 a plug pays 0.3” In other words, most repair facilities compensate mechanics by the type of job, assigning a specific amount of time to complete it. If a tire, it will usually take longer that the time allotted to perform a combination repair. These results in a incentive for the mechanic to use the quicker, less effective repair method to save time, make more money and move on to the next job.
https://www.carabinshaw.com/unsafe-t...nce-of-da.html

It's the fucking most common fix. It's not anecdote.

Like I said, to each their own. But it's awfully hilarious to hear a bunch of anecdotes on how improper a plug repair is and how they've never seen a plug in their "properly" repaired tires with a patch only.
[Reply]
Fish 01:11 AM 04-07-2023

There is no such thing as a permanent fix to a tire repair. The actual "proper" way to repair a tire would be to install a combo plug and patch.
[Reply]
Pablo 05:37 AM 04-07-2023
I had a tire plugged once.

Got it home, went to sleep, woke up the next morning with my house ransacked, my credit card stolen and a pregnant wife. That was not a good year.
[Reply]
Page 129 of 145
« First < 2979119125126127128129 130131132133139 > Last »
Up