ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 127 of 160
« First < 2777117123124125126127 128129130131137 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading
big nasty kcnut 10:37 PM 03-11-2006
I'm reading The New American Revolution by tammy bruce. She is a great thinker and funny.
[Reply]
Fairplay 10:20 AM 03-09-2012
Originally Posted by CosmicPal:
Currently reading Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

A truly great and entertaining read! :-)

I enjoyed Hillenbrand's Seabiscuit, i didn't enjoy this book at all.
Its sad the biography of such a person as Zamperini is botched by endless, pointless and repetitive descriptions. It takes a long time for the book to finally take off. And then it just fluttered.
I find it hard to believe that a 95 year-old man can have that much of a detailed memory about things that happened 60 plus years ago. There's a excruciating day by day recalling of when he was stranded in the lifeboat.
She could have cut at least 100 pages out of this book and still retain the importance of this man's experience.
[Reply]
Dr. Gigglepants 10:33 AM 03-09-2012
Originally Posted by frankotank:
hey! WWZ dudes! I'm about to finish a book and need another.
should I read The Zombie Survival Guide first??? I hope somebody responds soon...I'm gonna be book shopping today.

also...I've already mentioned I'm reading Stephen Kings 11/22/63. I just read a sentence that stopped my in my tracks. I just thought...wow...that's some heavy shit!
he describes the world as....

A universe of horror and loss surrounded by a single lighted stage where mortals dance in defiance of the dark.

that's just badass!
I don't feel like I missed out on anything by not reading the ZSG, and haven't felt compelled to go back and read it after WWZ.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
TrickyNicky 03:33 PM 03-09-2012
Originally Posted by Dr. Gigglepants:
I don't feel like I missed out on anything by not reading the ZSG, and haven't felt compelled to go back and read it after WWZ.
Posted via Mobile Device
It is a very dry read. If you ever have some time to kill in a book store or library, just read the chronological history of Zombie Outbreaks towards the back of the book. Best part.
[Reply]
Buck 10:37 PM 03-18-2012
Just finished Rendevous with Rama. I loved it. The imagery it created in my head was awesome. I'm not a huge fan of reflective endings, so I give it 4.5/5.

Next book I'm moving onto at home is called Wool. It was created as a short story for e-readers and became so popular that people demanded more. The author wrote 4 more "episodes" and together the 5 episodes as an omnibus are one of the best selling novels on the Amazon store. Plus it's hard sci-fi (or so I've heard), so I should enjoy it either way.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 11:27 PM 03-18-2012
Finished The Historian...one of the best Dracula novels I have read, throughly enjoyed.

I finally got around to starting The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo...about 60 percent done. It started a bit slow, but the story has picked up speed, and has been a very good read so far.
[Reply]
jspchief 12:31 AM 03-19-2012
Started a trilogy called The Hungering Saga this weekend. Already finished book 1.

The writing style is pretty pedestrian. If GRR Martin is one end of the spectrum on detail, this author is the other end.

That being said, its been a good story with very original concepts and enough action to keep your nose in the book.
[Reply]
Buck 12:43 AM 03-19-2012
My next two sagas after Wool are going to be The Riftwar Saga by Feist and then the Mistborn trilogy by Sanderson.
[Reply]
NewChief 05:34 AM 03-19-2012
Reading Reamde finally. Loving it at about 300 pages in.
[Reply]
Al Bundy 07:47 PM 03-19-2012
http://www.amazon.com/Making-Friday-.../dp/1903254310
[Reply]
Easy 6 08:08 PM 03-19-2012
Bay of Pigs - The Untold Story, by Peter Wyden.

I never fully understood the awful, prestige damaging farce that was until i read this book... the word 'cluster****' was surely invented to describe it.

Even incredibly brilliant guys like Richard Bissell, are capable of extreme stupidity... so intelligent that hubris led him to believe he could somehow effectively control all of the various, independent tentacles on the monster he created.

Certainly dont put all of the blame Kennedy, he was effectively kept in the dark about most of how badly planned it was... the whole thing should be in Richard Bissells lap... he built an operation pieced together with 'bailing wire'.

Great book.
[Reply]
Braincase 08:28 PM 03-19-2012
Originally Posted by NewChief:
Reading Reamde finally. Loving it at about 300 pages in.
Good book.
[Reply]
Buck 08:53 PM 03-19-2012
Halfway through World War Z.

The first quarter of the book really captivated me. Probably up until they figured out how to stop them. The second quarter has been extremely boring.

Does it pick up again or is it just a lot more talk about zombie policy?
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 08:55 PM 03-19-2012
Finished Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Good books, going to have to check out the movie sometime this week. Started the second book, but I may switch to the Hunger Games, since the movie comes out on Friday, and I want to read the book before checking out the movie.
[Reply]
Mizzou_8541 08:56 PM 03-19-2012
Anyone know a good, comprehensive book on medieval Europe? I watched something on H2 recently that piqued my interest. I know the topic is extremely broad, but just thought I would ask. TIA.
[Reply]
jspchief 09:01 PM 03-19-2012
Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy:
Finished Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Good books, going to have to check out the movie sometime this week. Started the second book, but I may switch to the Hunger Games, since the movie comes out on Friday, and I want to read the book before checking out the movie.
I watched the movie before I read the book (tGWtDT). A few things left out in the movie, but maybe slightly more focus on Lisbeth. I don't think the movie will let you down. It's very good.
[Reply]
Page 127 of 160
« First < 2777117123124125126127 128129130131137 > Last »
Up