ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1262 of 3903
« First < 26276211621212125212581259126012611262 126312641265126612721312136217622262 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:46 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by :
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
Teachers are crying that they’re working harder now remotely than they were in the classrooms. That’s never gonna happen

Originally Posted by :
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvy View Post
My school district started out online lessons Mon-Friday. This lasted about 2 weeks after spring break. We got an email and letter in the mail that the teachers were overwhelmed and Mondays would be teacher's day for preparing to evaluate and grading. Kids do online lessons Tues - Fri which is ok as they get there material to their laptops at 10 am and it takes them 2 to 3 hours and they are done Personally I think the teachers are overwhelmed because they don't have all the assistants that they relay on.
In most cases, it's because teachers can reuse much of their lesson plans year after year. A teacher's first year teaching a class is always the hardest.

The sudden push to online suddenly turned them all into first year teachers and added the complexity of relying on parents to help and learning new technologies in a very short period of time.
Elementary teachers have 3-5 lessons a day they have to put online. Lots of subjects and very little of it is transferred fast.

I teach 8th grade science-I am also a block schedule. So I only see the same kids every other day.
So I make a lesson-good for two days. I am also about a week and a half ahead making lessons/assessments.

If I am in school, I can pull the lessons out of my head without a lot of prep-except for lab work.

I can see why some are overwhelmed. Just a new way of doing things.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:48 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
my wife was a technology leader back in the Lees Summit district but I’ve had to help her get up to speed. Mostly districts tech fault. K-12 School districts just don’t “get” tech. Her co-workers are struggling to learn the 3 different software packages they are using in elearning in this district.
We have teachers that after 10+ years of smartboards, cannot figure out that if the smartboard is not working--unhook the USB, count to 10, and hook it back up.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:52 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
If preventative measures work you immediately get howls that you didn't need to take any measure.

Is it just perhaps possible like maybe, even if we won't ever know for sure but...

Maybe CA hospitals, unlike NY, didn't get overwhelmed because CA jumped early and NY didn't ?
Some think west coast got lesser of the strains and why ca wa and bc seem to be doing better
[Reply]
petegz28 08:54 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Sure but we most likely aren't getting a vaccine until 2021 if we get one at all. I think we will though.

I just can't see 80,000 fans at Arrowhead this fall because of the chance that there is one or more asymptomatic people that has it which will infect thousands. Once that happens KC will have to go back into lockdown.

This is still a deadly highly communicable virus.
Don't discount the human body, my friend. I fully believe that as this virus continues to adapt to live in humans the more humans will adapt to fight it. This virus started in animals and if I understand things correctly that's what makes it so deadly to us. As a virus mutates to live on us it also becomes more susceptible to our immune systems.

Originally Posted by :
For all its evil genius and efficient, lethal design, Kirkegaard said, “the virus doesn’t really want to kill us. It’s good for them, good for their population, if you’re walking around being perfectly healthy.”

Evolutionarily speaking, experts believe, the ultimate goal of viruses is to be contagious while also gentle on their hosts — less a destructive burglar and more a considerate house guest.

That’s because highly lethal viruses like SARS and Ebola tend to burn themselves out, leaving no one alive to spread them.

But a germ that’s merely annoying can perpetuate itself indefinitely. One 2014 study found that the virus causing oral herpes has been with the human lineage for 6 million years. “That’s a very successful virus,” Kirkegaard said.

Seen through this lens, the novel coronavirus that is killing thousands across the world is still early in its life. It replicates destructively, unaware that there’s a better way to survive.

But bit by bit, over time, its RNA will change. Until one day, not so far in the future, it will be just another one of the handful of common cold coronaviruses that circulate every year, giving us a cough or sniffle and nothing more.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...-so-hard-kill/
[Reply]
Dunit35 08:55 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by JakeLV:
We had some internal memos discussing 60-75% of normal case load for rads during this time a few weeks ago. Not sure what the estimates are now, but first and second year residents are gonna have it rough for a bit.
They really need to open up normal doctor visits. A lot of patients learn they need treatment from normal checkups. Going to be hard to find out you need help if doctors won’t allow visits.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:55 PM 04-08-2020
I had to do an exam on a possible Covid patient today and wearing that PPE sucks my goggles kept fogging up and I was only in there 10 mins.
[Reply]
Monticore 09:08 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by Dunit35:
They really need to open up normal doctor visits. A lot of patients learn they need treatment from normal checkups. Going to be hard to find out you need help if doctors won’t allow visits.
I normally do 14 patients a day average and I have been 3-5 daily for last 2 weeks
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 09:11 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Santa Clara said they won’t be having big crowds til after thanksgiving

So the 9ers either won’t have home games or ....
Have you got a link to this statement?
[Reply]
Fat Elvis 09:11 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
If I was a tax-paying citizen or a business owner in Santa Clara, I’d demand to know the models/statistical projections they are basing this outlandish statement on.
And yet, you still wouldn't understand it....
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:11 PM 04-08-2020
Well this is interesting

Originally Posted by :
Coronavirus in New York came mainly from Europe, studies show.

New research indicates that the coronavirus began to circulate in the New York area by mid-February, weeks before the first confirmed case, and that it was brought to the region mainly by travelers from Europe, not Asia.

“The majority is clearly European,” said Harm van Bakel, a geneticist at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, who co-wrote a study awaiting peer review.

A separate team at N.Y.U. Grossman School of Medicine came to strikingly similar conclusions, despite studying a different group of cases. Both teams analyzed genomes from coronaviruses taken from New Yorkers starting in mid-March.

The research revealed a previously hidden spread of the virus that might have been detected if aggressive testing programs had been put in place.

[Reply]
SupDock 09:12 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
I normally do 14 patients a day average and I have been 3-5 daily for last 2 weeks
Lots of clinics are doing televisits
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 09:12 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Please post again. You're at 666.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 09:14 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis:
And yet, you still wouldn't understand it....
Even if he could he still would not. He is obtuse on this situation.
[Reply]
Monticore 09:18 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Please post again. You're at 666.
No way.
[Reply]
Monticore 09:20 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
My clinic is doing a lot of tele-visit volume.
I unfortunately need in person patients , thank god I don’t get paid per patient lol , my wife is seeing her patients mostly over the phone.
[Reply]
Page 1262 of 3903
« First < 26276211621212125212581259126012611262 126312641265126612721312136217622262 > Last »
Up