ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 124 of 160
« First < 2474114120121122123124 125126127128134 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading
big nasty kcnut 10:37 PM 03-11-2006
I'm reading The New American Revolution by tammy bruce. She is a great thinker and funny.
[Reply]
Bowser 01:17 AM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Anybody ever read Hyperion? I just finished the audio book. Didn't think I'd like it, but it drew me in. The ending pissed me off greatly.
Just finished Endymion. This series has been very enjoyable. Pretty erie how Simmons nailed the internet phenomenon in the late 80's and early 90's. Great series.
[Reply]
NewChief 06:17 AM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by Braincase:
I'm eyeballing a couple of Doctorow titles. Too bad "For The Win" isn't available as an Audible title. I mostly listen to books during my commute.
Little Brother is excellent (even though it's technically Young Adult, it's very good). The story I linked is only a short story, so it's an easy read. I've been meaning to get For the Win as well.
[Reply]
NewChief 06:18 AM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by ChiefFripp:
...same with Winter of Our Discontent.
My thesis was actually on In Dubious Battle, which is a great book if you've never read it. I think To a God Unknown is probably my favorite "lesser" Steinbeck title, though.
[Reply]
Braincase 06:41 AM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
I don't know what the hell I'd do without audible.

Probably read more print. But still, I'm the odd bird who prefers to listen to books rather than music when driving/running/cycling/walking and even gaming.
I'm on that uber-premium plan that gets you 26 credits a year. It's a bit expensive.

Fortunately, I've been invited into a private audio library. Lots of good audiobooks, but sometimes it's hard to get them properly formatted for my mp3 player.
[Reply]
Braincase 06:46 AM 01-19-2012
As soon as I'm done with "Ready Player One", I've got "Reamde" by Neil Stephenson ready to go. Loved "Snowcrash" when I read it 10 years ago.
[Reply]
Aries Walker 08:09 AM 01-19-2012
Fighting Techniques of the Ancient World, 3000 BC - AD 500: Equipment, Combat Skills, and Tactics, by Simon Anglim, Phyllis G. Jestice, Rob S. Rice, Scott M. Rusch, and John Serrati. It's pretty good!
[Reply]
NewChief 08:20 AM 01-19-2012
As soon as I'm done with "Ready Player One", I've got "Reamde" by Neil Stephenson ready to go. Loved "Snowcrash" when I read it 10 years ago.
Reamde is on my list as well. I've heard mixed things about it, but I like just about everything Stephenson does. My understanding is that Reamde is something of a return to Snow Crash form for him.
[Reply]
Line Judge 08:42 AM 01-19-2012
Just finished "Prague Fatale" by Philip Kerr. This is the last in a series of Bernard Gunther novels. I had to order it from Amazon.uk because it will not be released in the US until April. Bernie is a German policeman / private investigator before, during and after WWII. A great group of books. You should try them.
[Reply]
CHENZ A! 09:13 AM 01-19-2012
Samurai - The Philosophy of Victory
[Reply]
patteeu 10:05 AM 01-19-2012
If you haven't read Stephenson's Diamond Age, I recommend it.
[Reply]
NewChief 10:26 PM 01-26-2012
Been reading and rereading Faulkner's "Barn Burning" this week with my students. The older I get, the more I love Faulkner. It's even more fun to see my students struggle with it (and complain... lord do they complain) and remember my own struggles. Makes me realize how much I've matured as a reader.
[Reply]
blaise 11:23 PM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by NewChief:
Been reading and rereading Faulkner's "Barn Burning" this week with my students. The older I get, the more I love Faulkner. It's even more fun to see my students struggle with it (and complain... lord do they complain) and remember my own struggles. Makes me realize how much I've matured as a reader.
I love that story. I love when the father ruins the carpet. That moment is so clear you can almost see it and feel it.
I admit though, as much as I enjoy his short stories I get no enjoyment from some of his longer books.
Same thing with Joyce. I love Dubliners, but his novels are a nuisance to me.
[Reply]
chiefs1111 11:26 PM 01-26-2012
Neil Gaiman-American Gods
[Reply]
NewChief 06:18 AM 01-27-2012
Originally Posted by blaise:
I love that story. I love when the father ruins the carpet. That moment is so clear you can almost see it and feel it.
I admit though, as much as I enjoy his short stories I get no enjoyment from some of his longer books.
Same thing with Joyce. I love Dubliners, but his novels are a nuisance to me.
I like some Faulkner novels (and some Joyce novels), but I agree with you for the most part. The complexity of the writing makes it more suited for short form, imo. I can handle reading and re-reading and savoring when I'm reading a 10-20 page short story. When I'm reading a novel, I want to turn some pages.
[Reply]
CosmicPal 03:49 PM 01-29-2012
I thought the book loving crowd would enjoy this video:

[Reply]
Page 124 of 160
« First < 2474114120121122123124 125126127128134 > Last »
Up