« First < 2373113119120121122123 124125126127133 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Dorsey gone?
bdj23 02:12 PM 06-22-2017
Per 610.

The ****?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:24 AM 06-29-2017
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
This is the same problem that has plagued the Chiefs franchise going back to Lamar Hunt... the Hunt family waits too long to make needed decisions.

Clark should have made this move with Dorsey back in January, so Ballard could have been promoted to GM.
That was what made that line so interesting, though.

I'm not so sure the gravity of the situation was apparent UNTIL Ballard left. And once that happened and Dorsey lost his 'company man' and organizer, it became apparent that perhaps Dorsey truly was more scout than executive.

It makes the timing a little less bizarre.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:25 AM 06-29-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
5. The leader for the job still seems to be co-director of player personnel Brett Veach, who is young, enthusiastic and energetic. The question with him is how he would handle working in the office day-to-day, since his background is largely as a road scout.
The question is whether or not he's Dorsey in a suit.

Does he have the administrative skills to run a personnel department. That would likely be the focus of the interview.
[Reply]
BlackOp 10:29 AM 06-29-2017
What's stranger still is that Breer says the "issue" began 2 years ago.

Does that mean two years ago, as in this time in 2015?

Or does it mean two seasons ago, in 2014??

Either way, Clark must have been biting his tongue after the 1-5 start in 2015.
That makes Chunt even more a chump....letting Ballard walk if this rift started 2 years ago. If cutting Maclin and his 500 yards was the last straw and his future employment was that tenuous...then ownership is flawed.

Only in Chiefsland does going 12-4 with your DL on IR, drafting a rookie all-pro and a soon-to-be probowler (Jones) get you fired....not to mention 6 national games.

Par for the course for this franchise...
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:34 AM 06-29-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
It points out the sort of organizational chaos that arose after the more organized Ballard left.
Breer's article portrays Clark as "aware" that Dorsey was disorganized and somewhat of a mess, yet it took Ballard's absence for it be extremely apparent.

I know that it's been nearly a decade since Clark took over the reigns of the franchise but he's clearly still feeling his way around the duties of a CEO.

It appears that he was conflicted: On one hand, the Chiefs had the type of sustained success that they hadn't seen in two decades, yet Clark had a feeling that it wasn't for long.

Everyone has perfect vision in hindsight but it appears as if Clark didn't trust his gut and fire Dorsey after the season.

Hopefully moving forward, he learns to trust his instincts a bit more.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:35 AM 06-29-2017
The question is whether or not he's Dorsey in a suit.
Exactly.

And that may be why he wasn't hired for the Buffalo gig.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:48 AM 06-29-2017
Breer's article portrays Clark as "aware" that Dorsey was disorganized and somewhat of a mess, yet it took Ballard's absence for it be extremely apparent.

I know that it's been nearly a decade since Clark took over the reigns of the franchise but he's clearly still feeling his way around the duties of a CEO.

It appears that he was conflicted: On one hand, the Chiefs had the type of sustained success that they hadn't seen in two decades, yet Clark had a feeling that it wasn't for long.

Everyone has perfect vision in hindsight but it appears as if Clark didn't trust his gut and fire Dorsey after the season.

Hopefully moving forward, he learns to trust his instincts a bit more.
This is Clark's fault 100%. This isn't a CEO's type of responsibility. This is management of any level, period.

Surely Clark had done yearly reviews and knew something deeper?

What you described is a completely incompetent CEO. There is no way this should have happened at all. If Clark saw problems, he should have done his due dilligence and found out the source of the problem.

If it was Dorsey, then he should have been fired after the playoff game and Ballard should have been promoted.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:48 AM 06-29-2017
The MMQB article provided one excellent nugget, IMO (because the bitching over Fisher and LDT is stupid).

It points out the sort of organizational chaos that arose after the more organized Ballard left. It kindof explains the weird way the whole Maclin deal went down. It also allays some concerns I had that he's looking for another 'corporate' Pioli when perhaps he's really just looking for someone that running around with his hair on fire. A happy medium, so to speak.

I still think we'll feel this in a big way in the draft and I don't think that Dorsey really got his ass kicked in these contract deals (the deals he gave are market deals except for Hali. DJ's was high but DJ took a cut that put it back in line and injury hurt us there). But if Ballard was a counterbalance that was needed to keep Dorsey from having a Yakkity Sax style front office, then perhaps a change was needed.
The tough thing about the contracts is that if Houston was healthy this past year, the Chiefs would have gone far enough into the playoffs that no one would be talking about contracts. That one fluke injury to the team's superstar continues to reverberate.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 11:04 AM 06-29-2017
Clark hired a GM he didn't trust. A GM that helped build a team that has had a winning record the last 4 seasons and won a playoff game for the first time in 20 years. Some would say - don't fuck with it, if it ain't broken. But not the Hunt family. They strive to compete with Cleveland in fan sadness, depression and angst.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:24 AM 06-29-2017
Originally Posted by RunKC:
This is Clark's fault 100%. This isn't a CEO's type of responsibility. This is management of any level, period.

Surely Clark had done yearly reviews and knew something deeper?

What you described is a completely incompetent CEO. There is no way this should have happened at all. If Clark saw problems, he should have done his due dilligence and found out the source of the problem.

If it was Dorsey, then he should have been fired after the playoff game and Ballard should have been promoted.
If Clark knew that Dorsey could be a problem without Ballard.....then you deny Indy the ability to interview Ballard and keep him for when you dump Dorsey. Clark knows that there is a year on Dorsey's contract left....and he doesn't want him around without his balance (Ballard). Eventually Clark would have to decide between the two.
[Reply]
SAUTO 11:25 AM 06-29-2017
That was what made that line so interesting, though.

I'm not so sure the gravity of the situation was apparent UNTIL Ballard left. And once that happened and Dorsey lost his 'company man' and organizer, it became apparent that perhaps Dorsey truly was more scout than executive.

It makes the timing a little less bizarre.
I'm not so sure how people aren't getting this.

It OBVIOUSLY wasn't apparent until ballard left, otherwise ballard would have the job IMO...
[Reply]
threebag 11:32 AM 06-29-2017
Originally Posted by Pestilence:
Eventually Clark would have to decide between the two.
Yep, looks like he did just that
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:38 AM 06-29-2017
Originally Posted by threebag02:
Yep, looks like he did just that
He chose neither.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:40 AM 06-29-2017
If Clark knew that Dorsey could be a problem without Ballard.....then you deny Indy the ability to interview Ballard and keep him for when you dump Dorsey. Clark knows that there is a year on Dorsey's contract left....and he doesn't want him around without his balance (Ballard). Eventually Clark would have to decide between the two.
I think there's a bit of an unwritten rule that says you don't block guys for interviewing for promotions (I'm of the belief that when teams do that, they're running cover for the guy they're 'blocking').

I think Clark swallowed hard, recognized the scouting success Dorsey had, hoped that he'd be able to keep Ballard and if he couldn't, that Dorsey could man the ship on his own.

But/for the record, it sounds like Dorsey would've gotten the ax and Ballard promoted. But I think that was a tough pill for Clark to swallow without knowing for sure. The slapdickery around Maclin was probably what he needed to see.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:44 AM 06-29-2017
He chose neither.
He stayed on 16 against a 10.

Maybe it's smart, maybe it's not, it's defensible either way and completely outcome determinant.

Personally, I always hit on a hard 16 (showing 7 or better, of course) but I don't criticize those that don't. The odds are tight either way and you can't know if you were right until the cards fall.

He stayed and hoped it worked out. When the Maclin thing came down, dealer flipped an 8. Shit happens.
[Reply]
O.city 11:54 AM 06-29-2017
Interesting stuff. Starting to make more sense. I still think you go with the scout heavy Veach and hope he grows into the other stuff. In the end, the draft is the lifeblood.
[Reply]
Page 123 of 137
« First < 2373113119120121122123 124125126127133 > Last »
Up