ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 123 of 176
« First < 2373113119120121122123 124125126127133173 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*** Official 2018 Royals Offseason Repository ***
duncan_idaho 08:24 PM 11-17-2017
It's the end of the world as we know it... and we feel... fine?

2018 is a season of transition for the Royals, or at least it is at this point. Dayton Moore is back. Will he swing full into THE PROCESS 2.0? Or will he try to load up again and make some reload magic happen?

Pending Free Agents:
1B | Eric Hosmer | San Diego Padres, 8 years, $144 million ($5 million signing bonus; $20 million/year in Yrs 1-5; $13 million/year in Yrs 6-8 wth player opt out)
Spoiler!

3B | Mike Moustaskas | Kansas City Royas, 1, $6.5 million
Spoiler!

CF | Lorenzo Cain | Milwaukee Brewers, 5 years, $80 million
Spoiler!

RP | Mike Minor | Texas Rangers, 3, $28 million
Spoiler!

SP | Jason Vargas | New York Mets, 2, $16 million
Spoiler!

SS | Alcides Escobar | Kansas City Royals, 1, $2.5 million
Spoiler!

2018 MLB Draft Picks
#33 - Compensation (Eric Hosmer)
#34 - Compensation (Lorenzo Cain)
#40 (Competitive Balance Round A)

Comp picks explanation:
Spoiler!

2018 Draft Names to Watch

RHP Kumar Rocker, N Oconnee HS, Georgia.
Spoiler!

OF Jarred Kelenic, Waukasha West HS, WI
Spoiler!

1B Triston Casas, American Heritage HS (FL).
Spoiler!

RHP Carter Stewart, Eau de Gallie HS (Ga).
Spoiler!

ANY Any, Any (Any). Any current top projected pick who slides for injury concerns. Includes current top prospect prospect SP Brady Singer, U of Florida.
[Reply]
Bufkin 09:37 PM 02-26-2018
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Well, first I would sign Ian Kennedy to a lifetime contract ...

If those are my goals, I would have approached 2018 differently.

I wouldn't have used Scott Alexander to dump salary, or Ryan Buchter. Those guys would have been dealt, but for honest value unencumbered by salary dumps.

I would trade Kelvin Herrera by no later than the trade deadline.

I'd sit on Jason Hammel and move him to a team looking for SP depth coming out of ST.

I'd move Whit Merrifield for best return.

And I'd listen on Perez and Duffy. Need big returns to move either, and I wouldn't trade them unless I was getting big value back.

Organizationally, I'd find someone from either the Cardinals or the Rays system that I can put in charge of scouting and developing pitchers.

I'd tell my scouts to focus less on tools and raw potential, and pay attention to IQ and pitch recognition for hitters.

I'd tell my instructional coaches to focus less on maxing out "stuff" for pitchers and also have them focus more on pitchability, command, etc.

And I would end the organizational hatred of the slider. And advanced college arms and bats.
Even with Salvy’s wear and tear, is he more valuable as a trade chip than Whit and Duffy? I think they sell Salvy as the franchise during all of this and isn’t going anywhere.
[Reply]
Mecca 06:16 AM 02-27-2018
Originally Posted by petegz28:
WTF would you trade Merrifield? WTF do you think you're going to get for him that justifies trading one of the best players on the team? Seriously. The kid is a baller and has some years left in the tank but you're not going to get much for him in the way of a trade. You need players like him on this team. Especially if you're making a youth movement.

I think some of you won't be happy until the entire team is traded for a bunch of prospects that you will end bitching about and want traded for the next 10 years.
Because as I've thought for awhile, last year is Merrifields career year, I believe when it's all said and done it will be an outlier and it's best to get some value for him while he has value.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:35 AM 02-27-2018
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Because as I've thought for awhile, last year is Merrifields career year, I believe when it's all said and done it will be an outlier and it's best to get some value for him while he has value.
I don’t think there’s a hot market for a 29 year old, one good year wonder. He’s worth more to the Royals than the not great return he’d nab you.
[Reply]
Mecca 06:39 AM 02-27-2018
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I don’t think there’s a hot market for a 29 year old, one good year wonder. He’s worth more to the Royals than the not great return he’d nab you.
He's cost controlled and versatile he'd have some value. If you believe that is his outlier year it is the time to move him.
[Reply]
DeepSouth 08:12 AM 02-27-2018
So if Mondesi and Merrifield both continue to have a good camp, do you play Mondesi at 2nd and Merrifield in Center? Or, does that make Merrifield a better trade candidate and the Royals get what they can in return? Merrifield is 29 and may be in decline when the Royals start winning again.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:50 AM 02-27-2018
Originally Posted by petegz28:
WTF would you trade Merrifield? WTF do you think you're going to get for him that justifies trading one of the best players on the team? Seriously. The kid is a baller and has some years left in the tank but you're not going to get much for him in the way of a trade. You need players like him on this team. Especially if you're making a youth movement.

I think some of you won't be happy until the entire team is traded for a bunch of prospects that you will end bitching about and want traded for the next 10 years.

Because he's 29, I don't believe the power is real, and his value would be at a peak.

I wouldn't Brett Veach the trade and dump him just to dump him, return be damned, which is kind of what my post sounded like. So my bad on that.

Best-case scenario would be that Merrifield has a strong first half, proves the breakout is real, and can be moved at the deadline for a package highlighted by a top 100 prospect.

Considering how apparently beloved he is by the Royals fan base though, he may be more valuable in KC.

I continually underestimate how much Midwesterners love the scrappy white guy 2B.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:51 AM 02-27-2018
Originally Posted by DeepSouth:
So if Mondesi and Merrifield both continue to have a good camp, do you play Mondesi at 2nd and Merrifield in Center? Or, does that make Merrifield a better trade candidate and the Royals get what they can in return? Merrifield is 29 and may be in decline when the Royals start winning again.

I think that's a viable option. I'd certainly rather see that than watch Paulo Orlando play 150 games.

I think it would make it easier to trade Merrifield. Though if he can play a league-average CF, he becomes a pretty good CF option to bridge the gap to Gigliotti.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:57 AM 02-27-2018
I think that's a viable option. I'd certainly rather see that than watch Paulo Orlando play 150 games.

Keep.

Fucking

Doubting
[Reply]
big nasty kcnut 12:41 PM 02-27-2018
Paulo Orlando is good how the hell you trade a guy who was a .300 hitter
[Reply]
Chiefspants 12:51 PM 02-27-2018
Originally Posted by big nasty kcnut:
Well... he doesn't have power, he can't take a walk, and he doesn't run the bases particularly well for his speed.

A .250 hitter with some pop who walks 80 times in a season is far superior to a no power .300 hitter who walks 20 times in a season.

He's a perfect bench player, but that's where I'd prefer he play.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 12:52 PM 02-27-2018
Just you watch: Marten Gasparini is gonna be clanking stand up doubles off the Kauffman right center wall by mid June.

... of 2019.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:22 PM 02-27-2018
Because he's 29, I don't believe the power is real, and his value would be at a peak.

I wouldn't Brett Veach the trade and dump him just to dump him, return be damned, which is kind of what my post sounded like. So my bad on that.

Best-case scenario would be that Merrifield has a strong first half, proves the breakout is real, and can be moved at the deadline for a package highlighted by a top 100 prospect.

Considering how apparently beloved he is by the Royals fan base though, he may be more valuable in KC.

I continually underestimate how much Midwesterners love the scrappy white guy 2B.
Bo Hart, Darwin Barney, Chris Getz... You may be onto something here.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:00 PM 02-27-2018
Originally Posted by big nasty kcnut:

He's not actually that good.

He's a passable 4th OF because he's pretty good defensively, he is a good pinch runner (especially if you're looking to put a guy on who can score from 2nd on a 1B or from first on a happier), and he can do a little damage with the bat.

Playing him every day would, in all likelihood, be a disaster because. He gets exposed in a hurry.

I wouldn't try to trade him. You wouldn't get anything for him - just has very, very little value.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 05:19 PM 02-27-2018
Soler power: 2 jacks today
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:46 PM 02-27-2018
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Soler power: 2 jacks today

He's worth following each day.

If Soler becomes what many thought he would be, it changes the bear and long-term outlook of the team.

The power and patience are real abilities.

19 and beyond change a bunch if Soler and Mondesi are successful major league players...
[Reply]
Page 123 of 176
« First < 2373113119120121122123 124125126127133173 > Last »
Up