ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 118 of 300
« First < 1868108114115116117118 119120121122128168218 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***** Official '23/'24 KU Men's Basketball Repository Thread *****
cmh6476 02:01 PM 04-10-2023
The Team:

https://kuathletics.com/sports/mbball/roster/

The Schedule:

https://kuathletics.com/sports/mbball/schedule/
[Reply]
KC_Connection 08:46 PM 12-02-2023
Originally Posted by SithCeNtZ:
On Timberlake, I went back and looked at his last two years vs power 5 teams. He has 4 games against Pitt, Clemson, Ohio State, and Wake Forest. Not a murderers row of teams but a decent spread of talent. In those contests he shot 20-56 from 2 and 8-27 from 3. Obviously 4 games isn't the biggest sample size, but it's interesting his numbers line up with what has happened so far this year against power 5 teams. If your hypothesis is he's bothered by elite(power 5) athletes, we don't really have any evidence that he's going to figure it out unfortunately.

It's going to be interesting the scouting on guys transitioning from mid major schools to high majors in the coming years and the analytics behind it. Yesufu had really weird splits that suggested he wasn't ready for Kansas and so does Timberlake. Then again I'm sure there are other guys who have worked out with red flags. The data will be fascinating to watch the next few years and the teams that figure it out first will get a big advantage.
Forget the shooting, I would have hoped they'd have had a better idea that he couldn't guard at all at this level because it looks like a major whiff right now. It doesn't matter how good a shooter you are if you're so bad defensively that you can't stay on the floor for more than a minute.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 08:51 PM 12-02-2023
Originally Posted by SithCeNtZ:
On Timberlake, I went back and looked at his last two years vs power 5 teams. He has 4 games against Pitt, Clemson, Ohio State, and Wake Forest. Not a murderers row of teams but a decent spread of talent. In those contests he shot 20-56 from 2 and 8-27 from 3. Obviously 4 games isn't the biggest sample size, but it's interesting his numbers line up with what has happened so far this year against power 5 teams. If your hypothesis is he's bothered by elite(power 5) athletes, we don't really have any evidence that he's going to figure it out unfortunately.

It's going to be interesting the scouting on guys transitioning from mid major schools to high majors in the coming years and the analytics behind it. Yesufu had really weird splits that suggested he wasn't ready for Kansas and so does Timberlake. Then again I'm sure there are other guys who have worked out with red flags. The data will be fascinating to watch the next few years and the teams that figure it out first will get a big advantage.
I think Self loved his shooting, and probably thought he could coach him up in other areas.

Unfortunately, some players, like Frankamp, just aren't physically talented enough to guard high level players.

So, unless he just starts shooting the ball great again, he is probably going to be buried at the end of the bench when conference play starts.

We have all known this for two decades now, but if you can't guard and play defense, you won't be getting on the court for Bill Self
[Reply]
arrowheadnation 11:26 PM 12-02-2023
I did a little reading on some UConn message boards after the game and they all seemed assured that they beat us soundly on a neutral court because the Phog was worth the point differential. True, the Phog is probably worth a few points, but I think KU still handles them on a neutral court if the Newton guy has a “normal” game. He came into this game averaging 15.7 points and had 31 last night. Cut that in half and KU wins easily.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 11:37 PM 12-02-2023
Originally Posted by arrowheadnation:
I did a little reading on some UConn message boards after the game and they all seemed assured that they beat us soundly on a neutral court because the Phog was worth the point differential. True, the Phog is probably worth a few points, but I think KU still handles them on a neutral court if the Newton guy has a “normal” game. He came into this game averaging 15.7 points and had 31 last night. Cut that in half and KU wins easily.
UConn (mostly Newton) made about 5 threes at the end of the shot clock on terrible shots in the first half and if they didn't do that, they'd have been down by 20 at half.

I certainly think a different environment changes that somewhat (the UConn players outside of Newton were all but shitting their pants due to the AFH environment in the first 10 minutes of the game and that isn't gonna happen elsewhere), but they were very lucky to even be in that game at the end given their start and I think if they were being honest with themselves they'd know that.
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:50 PM 12-03-2023
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
UConn (mostly Newton) made about 5 threes at the end of the shot clock on terrible shots in the first half and if they didn't do that, they'd have been down by 20 at half.

I certainly think a different environment changes that somewhat (the UConn players outside of Newton were all but shitting their pants due to the AFH environment in the first 10 minutes of the game and that isn't gonna happen elsewhere), but they were very lucky to even be in that game at the end given their start and I think if they were being honest with themselves they'd know that.
I interpreted the pants shitting to be from the defensive pressure. Then they settled in a bit. And it's possible the environment fed the energy for the defensive pressure.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 06:23 PM 12-03-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I interpreted the pants shitting to be from the defensive pressure. Then they settled in a bit. And it's possible the environment fed the energy for the defensive pressure.
Hurley attributed it post-game to the environment. That was my view of it too.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 06:33 PM 12-03-2023
I didn’t even find myself too upset with what Newton was doing.

Sure we could’ve defended him a bit better, but he was making some incredible shots. Sometimes a guy is just on. It was the game of his life for sure.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 06:44 PM 12-03-2023
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
I didn’t even find myself too upset with what Newton was doing.

Sure we could’ve defended him a bit better, but he was making some incredible shots. Sometimes a guy is just on. It was the game of his life for sure.
Honestly, as someone who has been watching games in AFH since 1986, I wasn't even upset enough to complain about some of the ridiculous makes.

I have seen so many players, some stars, but mostly mid or lower players, have the literal game of their life in AFH.

And, Self teams have a long history of questionable 3-point defense, so I have just become numb to shooting performances like that.
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 06:59 PM 12-03-2023
Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic:
Honestly, as someone who has been watching games in AFH since 1986, I wasn't even upset enough to complain about some of the ridiculous makes.

I have seen so many players, some stars, but mostly mid or lower players, have the literal game of their life in AFH.

And, Self teams have a long history of questionable 3-point defense, so I have just become numb to shooting performances like that.
Yep. It becomes more of a "oh... here we go. This is how it's gonna be, tonight"
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 07:11 PM 12-03-2023
The frustrating one is the number of offensive rebounds KU is giving up, especially on missed 3-point shots.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 07:14 PM 12-03-2023
There’s a good video floating around out there on X about KJ’s defense and how he helps.

It’s only like 2 minutes long. Once you really watch him, you can see how good he is defensively.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:06 PM 12-03-2023
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Hurley attributed it post-game to the environment. That was my view of it too.
Interesting. You’d think a team coming off a championship would be able to handle a crowd. Even if it is AFH, which I love.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 08:09 PM 12-03-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Interesting. You’d think a team coming off a championship would be able to handle a crowd. Even if it is AFH, which I love.
He said something to the effect that they'd never been in a place with that kind of fan engagement.
[Reply]
cmh6476 02:36 PM 12-05-2023
yoooge game tonite
[Reply]
BWillie 02:58 PM 12-05-2023
Originally Posted by cmh6476:
yoooge game tonite
UMKC changing name to Kansas City now makes them national power
[Reply]
Page 118 of 300
« First < 1868108114115116117118 119120121122128168218 > Last »
Up