ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1171 of 3903
« First < 17167110711121116111671168116911701171 117211731174117511811221127116712171 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
dlphg9 09:09 PM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Will a 2nd wave come if we go back to normal? That’s the big question
Not if we just don't test anymore people.
[Reply]
Ninerfan11 09:10 PM 04-06-2020
That's why young people should go out first, we'll be the guinea pigs.

I heard rumors Japan and SK might be on the verge of second waves. China has totally avoided a second wave (I have a friend who lives there..not propaganda lies).
[Reply]
Megatron96 09:13 PM 04-06-2020
Not really. History tells us we'll likely see a smaller secondary and maybe an even smaller tertiary 'wave.' Probably over the next 24 months or so, I guess. But considering that right now we're looking at a lethality rate of less than 1% nation-wide, those waves will be far easier to deal with than this first one. If the curve is really flattening nationally, we're probably not far from being in the clear You can stop buying TP and PT now.
[Reply]
Megatron96 09:15 PM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by Ninerfan11:
That's why young people should go out first, we'll be the guinea pigs.

I heard rumors Japan and SK might be on the verge of second waves. China has totally avoided a second wave (I have a friend who lives there..not propaganda lies).
Ah China's numbers are completely false. There more than 50,000 dead in Wuhan alone.

But I agree with the first part; younger people should be free to go back to work and get back to their lives. As a 50 year-old I've always been told I act like a teen-ager so I'll go with them. It's only fair.
[Reply]
TLO 09:16 PM 04-06-2020
WTF is this shit??

Study shows Kansas and Missouri may need more hospital beds as coronavirus cases grow

Toggle Menu
WATCH NOW FOX4 News at 9

Study shows Kansas and Missouri may need more hospital beds as coronavirus cases grow
NEWS
by: Shannon O'Brien

Posted: Apr 6, 2020 / 06:40 PM CDT / Updated: Apr 6, 2020 / 06:45 PM CDT
Data pix.
KANSAS CITY, Kan. — A new study shows Kansas and Missouri could be in trouble and run out of hospital beds to treat COVID-19 patients if what we are doing to try and slow the spread does not work.

The future of the COVID-19 crisis is in all of our hands. If people do not stay at home and take social distancing seriously, it could be even more deadly and get there quickly.

A study by the Harvard Global Health Institute paints a daunting picture of what could happen in Kansas and Missouri if COVID-19 spreads as predicted.

The study projects at least 287,000 people in Kansas and Missouri could be hospitalized and there are not enough hospital beds to handle that many patients.

The study shows a set of maps with hospitals' current ability to handle patients. If just 20 percent of the population gets COVID-19 within six months, nearly every hospital in both states would be beyond capacity to treat the sickest patients.

Kansas City would only have half the beds to care for its sickest patients and smaller cities and rural hospitals would be in even worse shape.

“The challenges of rural hospitals is in shortages of staff and some of their financial independence. Those have been long-standing issues. Technology is also an issue,” said former Kansas Governor Dr. Jeff Colyer.

Colyer is the chair of the National Advisory Committee on Rural Health and Human Services. He says there are about 82 critical access hospitals in the state of Kansas, 20 percent of which have financial issues and have difficulty making payroll. These fragile hospitals could buckle during the COVID-19 crisis.

“These rural hospitals, these are the places where the next wave of the pandemic is after it hits the cities,” Colyer said.”If they can’t refer on to another hospital where there are significant shortages of equipment, you can see a real death toll, a real problem."

Besides a lack of money, personnel and supplies, rural communities have an aging population. In a third of the counties in Kansas, more than 30 percent of the population is over 65 and have a higher incidence of diabetes, cardiac issues and other high risk problems.

“Those are people that are working hard every day and we need to make sure that they have the access to care that they might not have, that you might see here in the city, but it’s not available there,” Colyer said.

Hospitals across both states are making provisions in case the worst happens. In anticipation of a shortage of hospital beds we contacted local hospitals to see what they are doing to prepare.

St. Luke's is adding 64 beds.

Olathe Medical Center is preparing its recently vacated 5th floor to accommodate 43 beds.

Truman Medical Center will use its Gastrointestinal Center and Outpatient Surgery Center to accommodate more patients.

HCA is also planning to add beds to certain area of its hospitals but no specific plan was provided.

Colyer says urban and rural hospitals are working together to plan for the worst. Depending upon the situation, rural and urban hospitals could patient swap. Moving less ill patients. In urban areas to rural hospitals and critically ill patients transported to larger hospitals better equipped to treat them.

Of course, the worst case scenario can be avoided if we stop the spread by being diligent in staying home and social distancing.
[Reply]
TLO 09:17 PM 04-06-2020
What Harvard study? What the duck is all this??
[Reply]
Why Not? 09:34 PM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
What Harvard study? What the duck is all this??
Disregard. It’s nonsense. For weeks we’ve heard “so and so city/state is gonna run out of hospital beds!!!”

I’ll wait here for someone to find me a city or state that has actually run out.
[Reply]
Ninerfan11 09:37 PM 04-06-2020
Media loves fear, loves it
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:40 PM 04-06-2020
Irony 2000+ years in the making

Disinfecting Pericles who died from the plague in 429 B.C. pic.twitter.com/mbhesRxn4b

— Dimitar Bechev (@DimitarBechev) April 4, 2020

[Reply]
BryanBusby 09:51 PM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by Ninerfan11:
Media loves fear, loves it
Go the fuck away.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:53 PM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Go the **** away.
This. These people really dont understand these predictions
[Reply]
TLO 10:01 PM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
This. These people really dont understand these predictions
I don't understand it either. That's why I'm asking.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 10:03 PM 04-06-2020

This BBC report on the situation in the US ... damn pic.twitter.com/9ZH4sGt08a

— John Whitehouse (@existentialfish) April 6, 2020

[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 10:10 PM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I don't understand it either. That's why I'm asking.
Apparently the ones making them don't as well.
[Reply]
Halfcan 10:14 PM 04-06-2020
It is supposed to be nice tomorrow. Going to head to a nature park, walk some trails and get some fresh air.
[Reply]
Page 1171 of 3903
« First < 17167110711121116111671168116911701171 117211731174117511811221127116712171 > Last »
Up