ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 114 of 140
« First < 1464104110111112113114 115116117118124 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Frank Clark to KC!
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 11:30 AM 04-23-2019

Sources: The #Seahawks and #Chiefs are deep in talks on a trade to send star Frank Clark to KC. The compensation would include a 1st rounder, a 2020 2nd rounder and a swap of mid-rounders. To complete it, the franchise tagged player and Chiefs must hammer out a deal.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 23, 2019

[Reply]
staylor26 10:20 AM 04-24-2019
He wanted to play with Pat and Tyrann :-)
[Reply]
RealSNR 10:21 AM 04-24-2019
I'm just going to bring up only one more point in a non-angry way, then I promise I'll shut my mouth on this for good. Excluding, of course, the tiny chance that Clark ends up struggling in KC for whatever reason *knocks on wood*

It's a bit unfair to say, "Chiefs fans just want to hoard draft picks and salary cap space but never spend it." That's largely not true. I think some fans occasionally get sticker shock (the Sammy Watkins deal comes to mind, but to be honest that contract gave most NFL GMs sticker shock, much less Chiefs fans). Hitchens was a big deal. Honey Badger was a big deal. Berry, Houston extensions were also huge. I never heard complaints about those contracts other than from the occasional Tuckdaddy or other weirdo naysayer.

Moreover, the big issue is this situation is entirely different from anything we've come across as Chiefs fans, and it DOES warrant at the very least a conversation about the merits of going "all-in" at this stage, regardless of whether the trade compensation or the contract is fair or not.

We're about to wrestle with some rough cap numbers over the next decade+ in about 2 years. 17%+ of the cap will be spent on one player. And it absolutely should be that way. We've never had to witness our team struggle with that. We know Veach has a plan, apparently, but any way you slice it, it's going to come down to cutting corners as much as possible through drafting well and being mostly conservative in free agency.

I don't think it's wrong or unhealthy to be concerned about what's going to happen when that extension arrives. We still have pieces that need to be added to this defense in order to get it to be respectable, and we basically gave Hill's extension to Clark. That's fine and all, but that now takes away a significant option to this team. It's unreasonable to expect us to churn out the scoring like we did last year without Hill. That means we need a defense better than 20-25. We'll probably need a top 10-15 unit.

Can we draft, develop, and cobble together those pieces when the Mahomes day of reckoning occurs? Are we going to be able to keep Honey Badger, Jones, and Clark around, and do we have enough draft stock to continue to build up the defense and make it better?

I guess in the end, I'm not reticent to hand out contracts or trade away draft picks. I just question whether this particular deal for what we had to give up actually puts us in a better position as a team, both in the short and long term.
[Reply]
MagicHef 10:22 AM 04-24-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
One positive is that Clark plays hard as fuck, all the time. He's also physical as shit. He's not a "play around a guy" type of player.

He's a dog.

We needed dogs.

[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:28 AM 04-24-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Some of this is not fair to Veach.

People shit all over Watkins but forget we had the best offense in the league, the contract is structured perfectly and he was damn good in the playoffs when we needed him.

Hitchens just isn’t fair. He was put in a completely different system than he has ever played in. I really think this season will be the litmus test for him.

Veach has been significantly better with money than Dorsey. His contract structures are better and he’s not paying brokedicks like 30+ year old Tamba Hali enormous money.

He’s committed sins, yes, but I like his aggressive nature. We need that right now.
Again, not looking at those moves individually. Just showing the trend of overpaying. Again, being too aggressive is better than not trying at all or making dumb moves. It's OK to approve of the moves we are making without spinning stories about how we're shrewd negotiators.

I had to go way deep into the wayback machine to think about the last time we got a legit blue chip free agent from another team without executing a mega trade. I guess honey Badger is on the borderline. But since going back to the Hugh Douglas days it just seems like we can't land a big fish without a pick heavy trade.
[Reply]
Gravedigger 10:31 AM 04-24-2019
I'm okay with this move now, the more I look at it, with him, Jones, Nnandi and (Fill in the Blank) our DLine is secured for many years once Jones gets signed. We'll have this same dance with Oline next year or the year after.
[Reply]
Mr. Kotter 10:36 AM 04-24-2019
If ya'all haven't looked at THIS video....you should. If he's pretty consistently the guy in this video, the deal was worth it.

Originally Posted by RunKC:
This guy looks like Justin Houston before his knee injury. He’s a complete player.

If ya'all haven't looked at THIS video....you should. If he's pretty consistently the guy in this video, the deal was worth it.
[Reply]
Simplicity 10:39 AM 04-24-2019
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
To be fair that tackle should've been made by his two teammates like REALLY should've. Also, you can't just come in late, which Clark would've been, on a QB while two of your teammates have him wrapped up (theoretically).

But keep cherry picking
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:41 AM 04-24-2019
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
I'm just going to bring up only one more point in a non-angry way, then I promise I'll shut my mouth on this for good. Excluding, of course, the tiny chance that Clark ends up struggling in KC for whatever reason *knocks on wood*

It's a bit unfair to say, "Chiefs fans just want to hoard draft picks and salary cap space but never spend it." That's largely not true. I think some fans occasionally get sticker shock (the Sammy Watkins deal comes to mind, but to be honest that contract gave most NFL GMs sticker shock, much less Chiefs fans). Hitchens was a big deal. Honey Badger was a big deal. Berry, Houston extensions were also huge. I never heard complaints about those contracts other than from the occasional Tuckdaddy or other weirdo naysayer.

Moreover, the big issue is this situation is entirely different from anything we've come across as Chiefs fans, and it DOES warrant at the very least a conversation about the merits of going "all-in" at this stage, regardless of whether the trade compensation or the contract is fair or not.

We're about to wrestle with some rough cap numbers over the next decade+ in about 2 years. 17%+ of the cap will be spent on one player. And it absolutely should be that way. We've never had to witness our team struggle with that. We know Veach has a plan, apparently, but any way you slice it, it's going to come down to cutting corners as much as possible through drafting well and being mostly conservative in free agency.

I don't think it's wrong or unhealthy to be concerned about what's going to happen when that extension arrives. We still have pieces that need to be added to this defense in order to get it to be respectable, and we basically gave Hill's extension to Clark. That's fine and all, but that now takes away a significant option to this team. It's unreasonable to expect us to churn out the scoring like we did last year without Hill. That means we need a defense better than 20-25. We'll probably need a top 10-15 unit.

Can we draft, develop, and cobble together those pieces when the Mahomes day of reckoning occurs? Are we going to be able to keep Honey Badger, Jones, and Clark around, and do we have enough draft stock to continue to build up the defense and make it better?

I guess in the end, I'm not reticent to hand out contracts or trade away draft picks. I just question whether this particular deal for what we had to give up actually puts us in a better position as a team, both in the short and long term.
I'm with you. I'm happy as hell to have Clark. But using the Watkins example... That contract looked like it was designed to get him off the books as quick as possible. Easy to cut at any time. The goal is to use the draft or find an underpriced free agent who you feel comfortable replacing Watkins. We've got a lot of these guys. Breeland, Okafor, ogbah, even honey Badger is only a three year deal. People keep looking at the #29 pick as if he needs to be a superstar. If you land even a serviceable WR2 we stay dominant on offense while freeing up $20m in 2020 to invest in other players. I'm a little fine with overpaying. But somehow we got into this business of thinking draft picks are worthless, let alone first rounders. With Mahomes' contract coming due draft picks are more important than ever.
[Reply]
Eleazar 10:41 AM 04-24-2019
Originally Posted by FAX:
Clearly, you need sensitivity training, Mr. Eleazar.

FAX
You might be right, Mr. Fax, and I think the beautiful and fiesty Mrs. Eleazar would probably agree with you. She however carries no brief for Kareem Hunt, and upon his release for the latest iteration of Mr. Hunt not being able to control his temper, replied that he should be sent back to kindergarten until he learns that we don't hit others.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 10:48 AM 04-24-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
He wanted to play with Pat and Tyrann :-)
He’s good friends with Mathieu but Clark said he just wanted to be somewhere where he felt wanted
[Reply]
Kiimo 10:49 AM 04-24-2019
Okay after 114 pages, I have come around a bit. I'm going to admit some things...

-I am too attached to the draft. The #29 pick is not as valuable as my evening Thursday with beers and friends watching the draft makes me think it is.

-I had already decided in my head a first was too much and hearing "first and a second" made my brain short circuit. In actuality when you look at the draft slot numbers it is only a slight overpay.

-I hear "domestic violence" and think oh shit not this again but I had not heard about his upbringing and story and it is not quite what I thought it was.

-I see those contract numbers and got triggered about overpaying but it appears this contract is manageable and doesn't prevent the Chiefs from signing any other current players.

-I clearly had not seen enough Clark film. I thought he was "good" and the Chiefs think he is "DMVP candidate good" and there is a wide chasm between those two.

-This guy is a monster. He reminds me more of Khalil Mack than anybody else.

I have come around on this pick. Imagine the Chiefs taking a center at 29 or taking a guy with the skills to be a defensive MVP candidate.

It's a good thing I'm not the GM.
[Reply]
Eleazar 10:55 AM 04-24-2019
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
Okay after 114 pages, I have come around a bit. I'm going to admit some things...

-I am too attached to the draft. The #29 pick is not as valuable as my evening Thursday with beers and friends watching the draft makes me think it is.

-I had already decided in my head a first was too much and hearing "first and a second" made my brain short circuit. In actuality when you look at the draft slot numbers it is only a slight overpay.

-I hear "domestic violence" and think oh shit not this again but I had not heard about his upbringing and story and it is not quite what I thought it was.

-I see those contract numbers and got triggered about overpaying but it appears this contract is manageable and doesn't prevent the Chiefs from signing any other current players.

-I clearly had not seen enough Clark film. I thought he was "good" and the Chiefs think he is "DMVP candidate good" and there is a wide chasm between those two.

-This guy is a monster. He reminds me more of Khalil Mack than anybody else.

I have come around on this pick. Imagine the Chiefs taking a center at 29 or taking a guy with the skills to be a defensive MVP candidate.

It's a good thing I'm not the GM.
You make a key point there with your second to last bullet. If the team thinks he's the second best pass rusher in the NFL, which is what some reports said motivated them here, then a slight overpay is nothing.

Are we going to be upset about some special teamer that we could have gotten with the extra draft value when Clark makes a critical sack on third down? Or every time he puts an opponent in a 2nd and long situation by being able to play the run? If we get off the freaking field in the AFC Championship game this year when a team is running down our throats because they know we can't do anything about it?

People forget that the team was on pace for some time last year to give up the most yards any team has ever given up. EVER.

It's ok to pay a premium to fix that. Really.
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 10:57 AM 04-24-2019
It's not really losing Hill at Clark's expense, it's more losing Hill because of Hill.

Like it or not. Even if he comes out of this clean, they won't sign him this offseason I doubt.

Unless you can get a cheaper deal ?
The Chiefs might just see the situation as an "opportunity" to get Hill cheaper.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 11:05 AM 04-24-2019
Veach is saying fuck you to the haters! We are all in this year. Super bowl or bust. Clark is so much better then Ford and actually compares very well to Khalil Mack except for the tackles for loss. This is a damn good trade! Veach gets my stamp of approval!!
[Reply]
BryanBusby 11:06 AM 04-24-2019

Sounds like some major damage control on their end, and I'm not really sure why they're doing it.
[Reply]
Page 114 of 140
« First < 1464104110111112113114 115116117118124 > Last »
Up