Page 11 of 12
« First < 7891011 12 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Trevor Lawrence gets paid
TambaBerry 04:50 PM 06-13-2024
5 years 275, 200 guaranteed
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:04 PM 06-18-2024
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Pretty hard to do when you're paying elite QB money.

I totally understand paying Lawrence, but people pretending that's not going to be a problem for the team barring a HUGE jump are just fooling themselves.
True, but the Chiefs have done it, 49ers did it the first time with Garropolo, Rams did it with Stafford/Goff’s contract, etc.

I don’t think anyone is doing the second part except Jags fans, honestly. I’ve all but written them off with him at QB and this will likely only make them even less of a threat.. I just recognize the reality that no franchise is going to let a 24-year old former #1 overall QB walk in Free Agency.
[Reply]
wazu 01:34 PM 06-18-2024
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
True, but the Chiefs have done it, 49ers did it the first time with Garropolo, Rams did it with Stafford/Goff’s contract, etc.

I don’t think anyone is doing the second part except Jags fans, honestly. I’ve all but written them off with him at QB and this will likely only make them even less of a threat.. I just recognize the reality that no franchise is going to let a 24-year old former #1 overall QB walk in Free Agency.
Within reason. The Jets seemingly do it about once every other year.
[Reply]
wazu 01:35 PM 06-18-2024
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:

Edit: Realize you mean #1 overall. Would like to see the list for this. Jets seem to not mind doing it with top 3 picks.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 02:10 PM 06-18-2024
Originally Posted by wazu:
Within reason. The Jets seemingly do it about once every other year.
Originally Posted by wazu:
Edit: Realize you mean #1 overall. Would like to see the list for this. Jets seem to not mind doing it with top 3 picks.
For sure. Always within reason.

I can see why they’re sticking with Trevor. His first year was rough, as you’d expect, but 2022 he looked really good and 2023 was a year marred by injury.

Personally, I probably would have just picked up the 5th year option, as they did, and let him prove it then, but if they feel confident that he’ll take leaps in progression then it’s smart to get out ahead of it with some leverage years left on his rookie deal.
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:47 PM 06-18-2024
Can't imagine just how much MIA is going to overpay Tua now. Going to make Trevor's contract look pretty reasonable.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:55 AM 06-21-2024
Once again people look at the total number and forget that the structure is what matters. This is a steal even for Lawrence

Looking through the details of the Trevor Lawrence deal finally and it’s really not what it’s reported to be (the point I keep making to you folks).

Lawrence will average $26.4M a season for the first 5 years of his deal (2024-2028).

He’ll make $39M this year, $9.5M in 2025,…

— Omar Kelly (@OmarKelly) June 21, 2024

[Reply]
Chief Pagan 11:32 AM 06-21-2024
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Once again people look at the total number and forget that the structure is what matters. This is a steal even for Lawrence

So it's a 275 contract with a 200 mil guaranteed deal. So you have a 100 mil cap hit at the end if you run it all five years? Or you expect to renegotiate/extend? Which I can't imagine wouldn't also see him ask for a raise?

But sure, if those are the numbers and the salary cap goes up, maybe they didn't do too bad.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 12:38 PM 06-21-2024

Another one of those fluff deals. It’ll be interesting to see the dead cap hits by year.
[Reply]
notorious 01:08 PM 06-21-2024
200 guaranteed in the only number that matters.
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:29 PM 06-21-2024
Originally Posted by notorious:
200 guaranteed in the only number that matters.

I was thinking that. Which means we're really talking about 5 years at around $40 million/yr, no? That's a lot closer to his actual value, imo.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 01:33 PM 06-21-2024

Just stop
[Reply]
notorious 01:55 PM 06-21-2024
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
I was thinking that. Which means we're really talking about 5 years at around $40 million/yr, no? That's a lot closer to his actual value, imo.
Realistically, I agree. I think the Jags are looking at it as a 4 year 200 deal.

That’s where they can cut bait and not completely destroy the team for years.
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:12 PM 06-21-2024
Realistically, I agree. I think the Jags are looking at it as a 4 year 200 deal.

That’s where they can cut bait and not completely destroy the team for years.

Yah, basically the same type of deal that Geno and Baker got. Kind of an extended 'prove it' kind of deal.
[Reply]
notorious 03:15 PM 06-21-2024
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Yah, basically the same type of deal that Geno and Baker got. Kind of an extended 'prove it' kind of deal.
Every time I try to compare a contract the Giants enter my mind and just blow everything to shit.

They really screwed up to the point of crippling their franchise for years. Stupid, stupid, stupid. :-)
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:19 PM 06-21-2024
Every time I try to compare a contract the Giants enter my mind and just blow everything to shit.

They really screwed up to the point of crippling their franchise for years. Stupid, stupid, stupid. :-)

Not just NYG either. They basically screwed up the QB market going forward. Because NY paid Danny that incredibly stupid contract, it forced other teams to pay nearly equally as bad contracts to the likes to Goff, hurts, Kyler, Cousins, etc. None of those guys are worth anything close to their contracts, but here we are.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 12
« First < 7891011 12 >
Up