ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 22
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Open Carry
HemiEd 05:44 AM 06-01-2024
My last two trips to our little town of Branson West resulted in seeing private citizens with a pistol holstered.

I was right behind one in line at the bank and the other one came in to shoot the shit with the barber cutting my hair. The only thing holding the second guys gun in the holster was gravity, no strap.

I am pro gun and all for peoples rights, but why? Why does someone feel they need to be packing heat while running errands?

It makes me pretty uncomfortable to say the least. Is this person stable enough to packing heat? Is he or she sober? Are they worried about a jealous lover or spouse gunning them down? Is there going to be a shootout?

What is your opinion? Are we all going to have to be packing soon? Are we going to regress to 200 years ago, like the wild west?

Who vetted this person to have this weapon in public?
[Reply]
frozenchief 08:07 PM 06-01-2024
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
The US is the only developed country where innocent people are routinely killed by stray bullets. People can still own guns in those other countries, it's just a little harder. This isn't an unsolvable problem.
Deaths by stray bullets are not tracked separately so it is hard to get an accurate count. A journal of acute surgical trauma published a study roughly 15years ago and found in 1 12 month period that a bit more than 300 people were hit in theUS by stray bullets. Of those, 60, or 20%, died.

https://pubmed.ncbi.:-).nih.gov/22743389/

You say the US is the only developed country where this happens and the problem isn’t unsolvable. There are many deaths by stray bullets in countries where people fire rounds into the air. Maybe those countries are not “developed” enough. Here’s a study on the frequency of deaths from bullets that reach terminal velocity upon being fired into the air. Those numbers are significant.

https://www.ncbi.:-).nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5912041/

You say that this problem can be solved. What is your solution? Causing someone’s death by a firearm is already a crime. It’s manslaughter or another type of homicide depending on the jurisdiction. It’s practically impossible to disarm this country. Further, more people are killed by bathtubs in the US than stray gunfire. Considering that there are far more firearms in this country than bathtubs, that’s surprising. There are far more firearms in this country than automobiles and yet cars kill more people than firearms, particularly when one considers that >⅔ of firearm deaths are suicides.

Arguing about firearms because of a few deaths from random gunfire demonstrates an inability to weigh comparative risks. It is similar to the person who will not fly because of plane crashes but does not recognize that car rides to and from the airport are the most dangerous part of any journey that includes air travel.

PS: why is there an emoji of someone flipping the bird in the article links? I didn’t include that.
[Reply]
BIG K 08:08 PM 06-01-2024
Nice!
[Reply]
Otter 08:34 PM 06-01-2024
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
The US is the only developed country where innocent people are routinely killed by stray bullets. People can still own guns in those other countries, it's just a little harder. This isn't an unsolvable problem.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
[Reply]
Pablo 08:36 PM 06-01-2024
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Yeah same, I have a Ring cam to screen people who ring my doorbell, track package deliveries, etc

But letting the UPS driver and anyone walking by on the sidewalk know that they’re being recorded…in a zero serious crime area….is the same as packing heat to pick up Jimmy Johns
Yeah but does an Italian Night Club add Jimmy Peppers even taste right if you can't grease somebody in the drive-thru??
[Reply]
Pablo 08:41 PM 06-01-2024
I'd never open carry. You're the guy in the neon clown wig in that army lineup meme.

Just assume you're always being recorded and half the people around you have a weapon in very close reach. An armed society is a polite society after all.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:56 PM 06-01-2024
That’s a Ring promo video holmes
What’s that got to do with the price of tea in China?
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 08:57 PM 06-01-2024
Open carry is legal in Nebraska, and has been for a long time. But I can honestly say I've never seen anyone do it. We just made carrying in any way legal in Nebraska. So, open or concealed, it's legal.

I've been a Concealed carry permit holder for about 9 years or so. I would never carry openly, it just seems weird to do that. But, if I saw someone open carry, I would not be concerned. The fact that they are walking around with it in the open pretty much tells me they are not going to go on a rampage. I mean, they could, but I seriously doubt it.

But me, no way. I don't want anyone knowing I'm carrying. Fuck around and find out I guess.
[Reply]
KCUnited 08:58 PM 06-01-2024
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
What’s that got to do with the price of tea in China?
It’s not real
[Reply]
ThaVirus 09:10 PM 06-01-2024
It’s not real
But it perfectly illustrates the “why?” you’re asking.

It didn’t even say anything until the person was six feet beyond the sidewalk anyway so that particular system does the job without any of the negatives you’re complaining about.
[Reply]
srvy 09:13 PM 06-01-2024
Originally Posted by frozenchief:
Deaths by stray bullets are not tracked separately so it is hard to get an accurate count. A journal of acute surgical trauma published a study roughly 15years ago and found in 1 12 month period that a bit more than 300 people were hit in theUS by stray bullets. Of those, 60, or 20%, died.

https://pubmed.ncbi.:-).nih.gov/22743389/

You say the US is the only developed country where this happens and the problem isn’t unsolvable. There are many deaths by stray bullets in countries where people fire rounds into the air. Maybe those countries are not “developed” enough. Here’s a study on the frequency of deaths from bullets that reach terminal velocity upon being fired into the air. Those numbers are significant.

https://www.ncbi.:-).nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5912041/

You say that this problem can be solved. What is your solution? Causing someone’s death by a firearm is already a crime. It’s manslaughter or another type of homicide depending on the jurisdiction. It’s practically impossible to disarm this country. Further, more people are killed by bathtubs in the US than stray gunfire. Considering that there are far more firearms in this country than bathtubs, that’s surprising. There are far more firearms in this country than automobiles and yet cars kill more people than firearms, particularly when one considers that >⅔ of firearm deaths are suicides.

Arguing about firearms because of a few deaths from random gunfire demonstrates an inability to weigh comparative risks. It is similar to the person who will not fly because of plane crashes but does not recognize that car rides to and from the airport are the most dangerous part of any journey that includes air travel.

PS: why is there an emoji of someone flipping the bird in the article links? I didn’t include that.
n-l-m is a smiley in chiefs planet.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:14 PM 06-01-2024
It’s not real
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
But it perfectly illustrates the “why?” you’re asking.

It didn’t even say anything until the person was six feet beyond the sidewalk anyway so that particular system does the job without any of the negatives you’re complaining about.
[Reply]
kcpasco 09:20 PM 06-01-2024
Don’t be a pussy and embrace your second amendment right.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 09:23 PM 06-01-2024
The sooner we start executing people that commit crimes using guns the sooner open carry goes away.
[Reply]
J Diddy 10:03 PM 06-01-2024
The only way to stop a bad haircut is a good guy with a gun.
[Reply]
jdubya 10:56 PM 06-01-2024
This thread has sadly derailed a bit. I think HemiEd and Nirvana are closer to agreement than they think if we all were sitting down. Bwana offers complete common sense as usual as do others I am missing. Dont let a minority of posters in this thread completely derail it.

Folks wearing a gun on their hip have their reasons..........most completely legit.......a few others may be sociopaths or just very young but hopefully they mature with age as most of us do

I think "Delano" is purposely trying to derail this thread.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 22
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Up