ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 18
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Home brew
Dartgod 09:53 PM 01-21-2005
Originally Posted by JimNasium:
Oh, and I almost forgot. Once you transfer you have room in your primary fermentor for your next batch! :-)
Yeah, I've been thinking about that. :-)
I'd like to do a pale ale. Maybe a Sierra Nevada clone.
[Reply]
JimNasium 09:57 PM 01-21-2005
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Yeah, I've been thinking about that. :-)
I'd like to do a pale ale. Maybe a Sierra Nevada clone.
Pales are easy and they are ready to drink really quickly. If you are going with a Sierra Nevada clone I'd highly recommend the Wyeast 1056 strain. Good stuff.
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:59 PM 01-21-2005
Originally Posted by JimNasium:
Pales are easy and they are ready to drink really quickly. If you are going with a Sierra Nevada clone I'd highly recommend the Wyeast 1056 strain. Good stuff.
Yeah, I've been reading up on it and I guess it's common knowledge thats the same strain Sierra Nevada uses.
[Reply]
Skip Towne 10:31 PM 01-21-2005
The only time I drank home brew it had white shit floating around in it. It sucked and I didn't want any more of it.
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 11:29 PM 01-21-2005
Yeah, I've been reading up on it and I guess it's common knowledge thats the same strain Sierra Nevada uses.
BTW, it's pretty easy to harvest the yeast from a bottle of Sierra Nevada.

Here's a good article on how to harvest yeast from some commercial beers. The beer has to be bottle conditioned and most aren't, but Sierra Nevada is.
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 11:28 PM 01-21-2005
Kegging is definitely worth it. Especially if you happen to know someone that works for Pepsi, we got all our gear free.
Jim, if you have all the equipment, I'd HIGHLY recommend doing your 15 gallons in kegs. Do you have a place to cool the kegs? If not, get a cheap deep freeze and buy a temp. controller and you're set.
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:54 AM 01-22-2005
Today I'm only seeing bubbles in the airlock every 30-60 seconds and the gravity is now 1.019 (1.018 @ 71*). OG was 1.054. I was planning to rack it to the secondary tomorrow. Should I wait?
[Reply]
Bwana 10:01 AM 01-22-2005
Today I'm only seeing bubbles in the airlock every 30-60 seconds and the gravity is now 1.019 (1.018 @ 71*). OG was 1.054. I was planning to rack it to the secondary tomorrow. Should I wait?
IMHO........yes.
[Reply]
Dartgod 10:10 AM 01-22-2005
Originally Posted by Bwana:
IMHO........yes.
Some of the people on a couple of brewery BBs I read are suggesting I give a couple of more days. It didn't really start fermenting until Tuesday, so I'll probably do it then instead. I tasted the sample I pulled out and it needs some finishing, but not too bad at this point....for a flat beer. :-)
[Reply]
cdcox 10:09 AM 01-22-2005
My first bacth of home brew was all grain and have never brewed from extracts. I guess I am cursed with the desire to make everything as perfect and complicated as possible. It was so much work (12-14 hr brew sessions) that I wanted to go to 15 gal batches, kegs, dedicated refrigerators, etc so I wouldn't have to brew as often (or at least get more out of the effort). At that point I backed away from the hobby, cause I really couldn't justify the $ for setting up my brewery the way I wanted it.
[Reply]
Bwana 10:12 AM 01-22-2005
Good job Bob, I hope you end up with a great beverage when you're done. The reason I said yes is the fact that you can't hurt it by waiting and could gain from waiting a few days.
[Reply]
Dartgod 05:19 PM 02-13-2005
Right now I'm enjoying the first beer I've ever brewed and I must say it's not too bad. I bottled last weekend and I wanted to try one to see how well it is carbonating. I tossed one in the fridge this morning. I just popped it open and am enjoying it now. It's carbonated pretty well at this point, but didn't get much of a head in the glass, so it will probably benefit from a couple of more weeks carbonating. I like the taste. It is a very drinkable brew, IMO.
[Reply]
stevieray 05:28 PM 02-13-2005
Right now I'm enjoying the first beer I've ever brewed and I must say it's not too bad. I bottled last weekend and I wanted to try one to see how well it is carbonating. I tossed one in the fridge this morning. I just popped it open and am enjoying it now. It's carbonated pretty well at this point, but didn't get much of a head in the glass, so it will probably benefit from a couple of more weeks carbonating. I like the taste. It is a very drinkable brew, IMO.

Congrats!....I want to try one...
[Reply]
Bwana 05:51 PM 02-13-2005
Good for you bud! :-) What's next??
[Reply]
Dartgod 05:55 PM 02-13-2005
Originally Posted by Bwana:
Good for you bud! :-) What's next??
Pale Ale, I think. I know I should let this sit in the bottle for another week or two, but I'm really craving another one right now.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 18
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Up