ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Nzoner's Game Room>NFL to potentially use optical tracking system to measure 1st Downs for 2024
SHOWTIME 07:03 PM 05-21-2024

The NFL is preparing to test optical tracking for line-to-gain rulings this preseason, with the chance for it to be implemented fully in the 2024 regular season, sources tell @NFLonCBS. Chains would be a backup if this is a success https://t.co/F4K2f28do1

— Jonathan Jones (@jjones9) May 21, 2024

Originally Posted by :
All game footballs are microchipped and have been for years. But this technology doesn't employ the chip and instead relies entirely on optical tracking. The system, which was used at MetLife Stadium and Hard Rock Stadium last year, would need to be installed across all 30 NFL stadiums as well as any international stadium where NFL games are played.
Originally Posted by :
If the system works, it would make for a more accurate measuring system that reduces the amount of human error. If the league sees there are problems such as latency issues in the preseason, the move can be tabled until 2025 with the chain crew continuing to do the same job as always.

[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 07:10 PM 05-22-2024
Originally Posted by RedinTexas:
No chance this system gets used without some hiccups. There will be some mind-blowing ****ups that the NFL has to answer for, but it's true of every innovation they try to install. Prepare yourself to be outraged.
They're still going to use the sticks and chain as a backup.
[Reply]
HemiEd 08:11 PM 05-22-2024
Originally Posted by Otter:
Not sure if I like this or not. Kinda takes the humanity out of the game.
I would love to see it. Take away any potential for error possible. The technology is there, they just need to use it.
[Reply]
Rausch 05:40 AM 05-23-2024
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
I would love to see it. Take away any potential for error possible. The technology is there, they just need to use it.
We really got shafted in the Buffalo game with spots. It was crazy.

If they can fix that I'm all in. For some reason I fully expect this roll out to start with a complete and immediate failure. Hopefully they've tightened all the screws on this process already...
[Reply]
HemiEd 05:44 AM 05-23-2024
Originally Posted by Rausch:
We really got shafted in the Buffalo game with spots. It was crazy.

If they can fix that I'm all in. For some reason I fully expect this roll out to start with a complete and immediate failure. Hopefully they've tightened all the screws on this process already...
I could not agree more, it is maddening!
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:11 AM 05-23-2024
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
They're still going to use the sticks and chain as a backup.
It looked like on our final drive in overtime that we made the first down twice on 3rd down. But, they marked it short. Twice we had to make a 4th down or we lose the SB. Maybe if this is in place they call down to the refs and tell them it was a 1st down.
[Reply]
seamonster 10:14 AM 05-23-2024
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I hadn't thought about that one. You'd theoretically need an entire ring of sensors plus one in each point. Again, you could probably solve for that, but the more complex you make it, the more likely it'll be screwy at times.

Words like "Optical Tracking" sound like they're playing around with computer vision, AKA convolutional neural networks and drawing bounding boxes. Using that kind of technique you wouldn't need sensors you'd use a model that's been trained on tens of thousands of hours of video and you measure the probability of false alarm and probability of detection. Get the PD up to 99% and the PFA down and then you can have some level of confidence that you're outperforming the human.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up