ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Nzoner's Game Room>Going Cellphoneless
HayWire 07:25 PM 07-03-2024
ive had a cell for the majority of my life. My first was a bagphone :-)

Over the years Ive wondered about getting by when we were younger and nobody had them. Most days I question the need for constant contact. Ive never been a phone snob and as long as could call and text I was content (bought a $75 phone at walmart and only pay 38 a month). Ive noticed that the only people i talk regulary is my wife and dad but since i started having health shit my wife works from home. If I did need to call someone my wife still has hers. Has anyone here gone without a cell? If so what are the downsides?

i have only went without a week now and havent even noticed.

Am I crazy to go phoneless?
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 12:10 AM Today
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Just talk to each other like the good old days! :-)

Sure, they read the newspaper instead of talking to strangers on the train/bus.

But they didn't get the newspaper out when having dinner with friends or family, usually.
[Reply]
HayWire 11:35 AM Today
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
Sure, they read the newspaper instead of talking to strangers on the train/bus.

But they didn't get the newspaper out when having dinner with friends or family, usually.
I fuckin hate that. When we eat out and see a family sitting at a table and everyone is looking at their phone drives me nuts. Growing up we had strict dinner table rules. No elbows on the table, must wear a shirt (that came from me never wearing a shirt in the summer) nothing on the table except food.

We always had that as family time. Dinner on the table at 5... don't be late because as soon as dinner is done everything is put away and dishes done.

Also, while I'm ranting, we ate what was in front of us. We didn't get a different meal because we didn't like what Ma made.
[Reply]
HayWire 11:45 AM Today
Originally Posted by KingPriest2:
Downsides?

Where to begin?

1. Being broken down on the side of the road
2. You’re out and have a important call to have
3. You’re out of town.

That’s just the simple stuff

Emergencies

1. My mom broke her hip and was watching my son. My mom had a cell phone. So my 3 year son got her phone and called my sister. My dad was out and couldn’t find him My mom ended up at the hospital. He didn’t get home for 2 hours after that fall

2. And one of the main reasons. My mom got sick late Feb/March. Got diagnosed with small cell cancer. (Another story). Monday March 25th my dad had a meeting to go to. My mom told him to go on Sunday the day before and that Monday morning. Well my mom took a drastic turn and she died. My dad wasn’t there. We had no way to contact my dad. He had no phone

This to me is why you shouldn’t go phoneless
I agree with the convenience factor but we went many years where no one had a cell. But for my purpose I can't justify it. Also, my wife still has her phone and wont be getting rid of it. People can get a hold of me if needed.

BTW, sorry for your loss man. My parents use to stay in Florida during the winter. Ma got sick when she was down there and died the next day. Didn't get to say goodbye. It was horrible
[Reply]
HayWire 12:54 PM Today
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I assume you've seen their 360 content? I can watch that stuff for hours... I've found some roller coasters and travel stuff. Downloaded some space exploration stuff a while back that was pretty interesting... day in the life of astronauts.

Some mini golf and it came with another golf game, shooting stuff... dabbled in some of the mixed reality stuff like painting on your own walls.
What kind of VR do you have?

is it the Meta quest or a different brand?
[Reply]
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Up