ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Nzoner's Game Room>Cost of electricity
Holladay 01:18 PM 06-29-2022
I was wondering how come the electricity in my office was not lower after I made some serious improvements/changes.

I compared 12/21 bill vs 6/22. I about floored me.

kw/h

12/21 $0.0161
6/22 $0.0289

Holy crap that is a jump.

The company is Evergy.

This will probably end up in DC. But there are a number of posts related to money in the lounge.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 08:40 PM 06-29-2024
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
I’ll wreck the whole grid and put us all back to caveman status before I set my thermostat at 78.
I’m trying it for the first billable cycle to see the actual difference. So far, I’m stunned that after real adherence to these guidelines, I’m looking at a bill that’s double the June 2023 bill.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 08:46 PM 06-29-2024
As the June billing cycle comes through, I’m sure this will be a big issue with the local TV/radio stations. After the recent property tax increases, as soon as the fixed income folks get a giant bill or somebody’s grandparent meets their maker cause the house got too hot, the pressure will be on.

I may have to go the solar route.
[Reply]
ptlyon 12:43 AM Yesterday
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
The new rate plans have gone into effect for summer. Basically, the rates from 4pm to 8pm during the week are doubled. I got an email stating that to save money, I should bump my thermostat down a couple of degrees several hours before 4pm, then several degrees above where I would normally keep it at 4pm and then back down at 8pm.

Sounds like a bad idea, so being an idiot, I tried it. My results...

2pm set thermostat to 76 degrees. 4pm set thermostat to 81 degrees. 6pm the house is muggy and uncomfortable at 81 degrees. AC comes on, house is muggy still at 7pm.

So, I made the AC work harder than normal before 4pm, then try to play catch up during the most expensive time of day.

New HVAC system is about $12,000 as mine is a 1998 system with a leak and an old furnace. At least none of the people giving me bids tried to tell me it would pay for itself like the window replacement guy and $30,000 for 15 standard size windows.
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding
[Reply]
Rausch 05:21 AM Yesterday
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish:
I am waiting to see what my bill will be with the new kwH increase. They are actually almost quadrupled during the 4p/8p segment.

I've followed their suggestions much like Kirk posted above. 4p/8p we turn the thermostat to 78 and hit the basement where it's still 68. No dishwasher/oven/stove/showers/washer/dryer usage during that time period.

My projected bill?

$360.

That's double what my normal bill is in June.

FUCK YOU Missouri Public Service Commission and FUCK YOU EVERGY.
It's all of them. They're all changing rates.
Then again, everything is switching to electric for power. Keep in mind that 40 years ago people didn't each have a cell phone, tablet, and car all running off the plug in at home. People didn't have 5 or 6 TV screens or monitors all running at the same time. Every appliance wasn't electric.
There's a greater demand for electric energy now than ever before and you know what they say about supply and demand.
Hell, the PC I'm typing on now heats my entire living room in the winter just by forcing it to try and play Ark. I have it by a window I have to crack open that helps cool it. It's also placed by the AC vent that blows right on it in summer.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 06:14 AM Yesterday
Inflation is a horrible tax that stuns those who cannot respond. Fixed income folks suffer greatly.

The discussion this week on KMBZ Morning show was about rentals with no AC and when do we "force" landlords to supply AC to all rentals.

Absurd across the board.

We have forgotten that when things become more expensive we have to use less or reallocate from other areas we spend. Evergy seems from all accounts to be heartless bastards who abuse thir position. But aside from that. The only way the Grid can regulate electric demand is to make it more expensive to moderate use.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Up